Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
So, I just built a new computer with the following components:

i7-860
GA-P55-UD5
8GB RAM
128GB SSD
XFX HD5870

I just ran the Windows Experience Score and got... a 6.0! Really? So I looked at the details to see where my bottleneck was, and Windows says that it is my 3D graphics capabilities. WTF? Windows doesn't think an HD 5870 is enough I guess!

This happen to anyone else? I'm trying to figure out if I have something configured incorrectly.

Solution
Drivers and DX versions are a part of the check, and if the sytem thinks something lesser is installed, then it'll dock you for that. So running a dxdiag can sometimes raise a score.

open a comand prompt (start orb >> CMD)

type: dxdiag

Let that run and check for problems.

jdp245

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

Yes, I'm running 10.2. I also knew that the current ATI Drivers had trouble with 2D on Windows 7 (though they say that is being fixed), but the 3D thing surprised me.

In Vista the maximum score was 5.9. Windows 7 extended the score to allow for newer technologies - for example you pretty much need an SSD (Solid State Disk) to get a disk score significantly above 5.9.

I'm not that familiar with graphics cards, but I'm guessing that the higher scores are reserved for multi-GPU setups using CrossFire, etc. If they DIDN'T do that, then the people with the uber-graphics rigs would be complaining that they weren't getting any higher scores than the hoi polloi (among which, with a score of 3.7, I count myself ;))...

jdp245

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
I've been loading some up and trying them out. The games seem to run fine. I guess that's what really matters, but I haven't been able to really stress it yet. I'm getting Crysis in this week, so we'll see how that goes! In any case, I thought it was funny. And if dual 295s only get a 7.1, then I guess my 6.0 makes some sense.

Lippy13

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Well, something isn't right with the Windows Experience Index. For example, those two GeForce GTX 295 cards should be walking all over my single GeForce GTX 260 (original version), but strangely, I too get a score of 7.1.

So yeah, if your games work fine I suppose you shouldn't worry about it.

D

Deleted member 217926

Yeah something is screwy with that.......my 9800GTX + gives a 6.9 in both Graphics and Gaming Graphics. Also get a 6.9 from E8400@3.6 and 5.9 on both memory ( 4gb Corsair DDR2 800@4 4 4 12 ) and HD ( 2x WD 640 Black RAID 0 )

Drivers and DX versions are a part of the check, and if the sytem thinks something lesser is installed, then it'll dock you for that. So running a dxdiag can sometimes raise a score.

open a comand prompt (start orb >> CMD)

type: dxdiag

Let that run and check for problems.

Solution

isamuelson

Distinguished

I went and installed the latest Catalyst drivers and I'm back up to 7.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.