Windows Explorer and Control Panel not opening.

STFLightning

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015
Hello,

I run Windows 7 Ultimate bootcamped on my 11" MacBook Air Early 2014 with OS X 10.10 Yosemite. I recently moved all the files from my external drive (which houses all my applications) to a new, bigger WD drive. Initially (yesterday) everything worked perfectly fine like it had before the upgrade, now however whenever I try to open a Windows Explorer window, either by the icon or by clicking My Computer it says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file" with the title explorer.exe or Explorer.EXE (changes sporadically) and if I try to open Control Panel the same thing happens but with a string of uppercase letters, numbers and square brackets or, if I try to access a section directly, absolutely nothing happens.

I have been able to continue use by using the Command Prompt and the Task Manager. Sometimes the Desktop is there, sometimes it isn't (reboots). Most applications work, with the exception of Google Chrome and avast! Antivirus Shields. IE works slowly, but otherwise OK. I hadn't installed any new software the day before the problems started happening. I installed avast! Antivirus to see if there was a virus causing it but nothing came up on scans and I installed AC Unity using the Uplay client, but just today, the internet features stopped working, Skype couldn't connect and Steam died. I'm writing this from the Mac side because I can't access this site from Windows. My internet is working fine with my Mac Mini, AppleTV, iPhone and MacBook.

If you have any info that could help please reply and if you need any other info just ask.

Thanks in Advance,
Sébastien

P.S. If anyone says go buy a PC or something along those lines, I will find you and I will kill you.

STFLightning

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015
I'm afraid not, I made sure to switch the WD to drive letter D: which I had been using on my other USB. I even went through regedit to make sure anything pointing at the old USB was pointing at the new drive.