Windows Explorer blank Help!!!!

harrydunn11

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
My Explorer is stuck on a blank screen with the Favourits, Libraries, Computer and Homegroup on the side. The windows never loads, it takes about a minute to load with the green refresh loader at the top then it just stops loading and sticks on the blank screen. The icons on the Desktop sometimes go white so I have to end the explorer.exe program on task manager and everything is alright for a while then it happens again. I did have a few problems with the right click where the explorer had a blue ring forever then I right clicked but that seems alright now and I think the problem may be in the registry editor because I edited a few of them not really knowing what would happen just taking a rough guess. Is there a way to reset the whole registry?
Thanks a lot

drifter77

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
First, you shouldn't edit your registry if you don't know what you're doing, it can mess things up pretty bad.

Second, try to figure out when this problem started to occur (when did you change the registry entries) and try a System Restore, it will bring your computer back to an early stage when it was working well.

Go to Start > in the search box type System Restore and open it. Choose "Different Restore Point" and check the calendar to an earlier date when things were fine. The system restore will reboot your computer and if all goes well, your old registry will be there.

harrydunn11

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013

Thanks for the reply but i've tried that already and I couldn't find a restore point early enough before I edited the registry is there a way to fix it or will I have to wipe the whole thing?

drifter77

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Unfortunately without a valid restore point the chances are slim. There are many registry fixers out there but most of them do more harm than good. Your other option is to do a clean Windows install.

The old XP versions had the option to repair Windows without losing your programs and data. In Win 7, things are a little different. This link below guides you to re-installing your system without formatting:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/how-tos/how_repair_faulty_windows_installation_without_reformatting