Windows Explorer crashes when I open a certain folder

zomigi

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open one particular folder. It happens to be a folder containing images (JPG) and movies (MOV), but I have tons of other folders just like it that it doesn't crash on. It also contains a .picasa.ini hidden file and a .picasaoriginals hidden folder, but again, many of my other folders contain these. I have no idea if there are other file types in there because I can't open the folder to see.

I tried disabling the thumbnail preview and that didn't work. I also tried booting into Safe Mode and that didn't work either. In Safe Mode, I got this error when I opened the folder:

The exception Integer division by zero.
(0xc0000094) occurred in the application at location 0x2eea6125.
Click on OK to terminate the program

Do you mean explorer just closes? Maybe you drive is having issues trying to open the folder and accessing so many files and choking. Check the event viewer in admin tools. Under windows logs and system. Look for disk or ntfs errors.

zomigi

Distinguished
May 19, 2010

I have the Event Viewer open, but don't know what to do at that point. Can you give me more detail?

Expand on windows logs on the right and click on system. Scroll up and down to look for errors. There will be some and that is normal. We are looking for disk or ntfs. It will be obvious if they are there are there.

zomigi

Distinguished
May 19, 2010

If you mean "Source" says "disk" or "Ntfs (Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs)," yes, there are some, but they have "Level" of "Warning," not error, and the last date for them is 11/21/14. There was a disk error on 11/1/14 and 9/9/14. Nothing recent. But, on today, 12/8/14, there are many Ntfs with a level of "Information." They seem to all contain some message about my hard drives being healthy. The only errors I have for today are a ton of DistributedCOM and Service Control Manager errors. Is any of this helpful?

zomigi

Distinguished
May 19, 2010

I ran a chkdsk before I posted this thread. As I said, there have been no disk errors since November 1.

zomigi

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I also just discovered that if I access the folder in question through Users, it doesn't crash. But, if I open it through the path of just C:, it does crash. In both cases, the actual path to the folder is the same, of course: C:\Users\[me]\Pictures\[buggy folder]. But, the non-crashing version shows "This PC > Windows8_OS (C:) > Users > [me] > Pictures > [buggy folder]" in the Explorer address line and the crashing version shows just "This PC > Pictures > [buggy folder]". So, the way that I get to the folder makes a difference, for some reason.