Question Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) handle leak

Nov 19, 2021
Hi all,

I have been having issues with Windows Explorer for months now, where its CPU usage jumps up very high multiple times a minute at what seems like random. I have been trying to troubleshoot it for a while and I feel like I have tried everything... I was getting ready to factory reset my computer because I had no other option. But recently it has come to my attention that my Webroot SecureAnywhere tells me that the process has a handle leak. Can this lead us to a solution?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all,

I have been having issues with Windows Explorer for months now, where its CPU usage jumps up very high multiple times a minute at what seems like random. I have been trying to troubleshoot it for a while and I feel like I have tried everything... I was getting ready to factory reset my computer because I had no other option. But recently it has come to my attention that my Webroot SecureAnywhere tells me that the process has a handle leak. Can this lead us to a solution?
Does a reboot fix all your problems? If not, then this handle leak isn't your problem.

kanewolf

Titan
Not at all... any other ideas as to what the problem could be then?
No idea. The simplest solution is probably a fresh Windows install. Whether anyone will identify a root cause is unknown. How much time do you want to continue to mess with this instead of preparing for, and executing a clean OS install with application reinstall?

Nov 19, 2021
No idea. The simplest solution is probably a fresh Windows install. Whether anyone will identify a root cause is unknown. How much time do you want to continue to mess with this instead of preparing for, and executing a clean OS install with application reinstall?
After months of trying to troubleshoot this, I've already been preparing for a clean OS install. I had done a repair install a month or so ago, but that did not seem to change things, which leads me to believe there is a conflict within an application or download of mine. Unfortunately I cannot figure out what it is though despite my efforts.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS