Question Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) handle leak

Nov 19, 2021
Hi all,

I have been having issues with Windows Explorer for months now, where its CPU usage jumps up very high multiple times a minute at what seems like random. I have been trying to troubleshoot it for a while and I feel like I have tried everything... I was getting ready to factory reset my computer because I had no other option. But recently it has come to my attention that my Webroot SecureAnywhere tells me that the process has a handle leak. Can this lead us to a solution?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all,

I have been having issues with Windows Explorer for months now, where its CPU usage jumps up very high multiple times a minute at what seems like random. I have been trying to troubleshoot it for a while and I feel like I have tried everything... I was getting ready to factory reset my computer because I had no other option. But recently it has come to my attention that my Webroot SecureAnywhere tells me that the process has a handle leak. Can this lead us to a solution?
Does a reboot fix all your problems? If not, then this handle leak isn't your problem.

Nov 19, 2021
No idea. The simplest solution is probably a fresh Windows install. Whether anyone will identify a root cause is unknown. How much time do you want to continue to mess with this instead of preparing for, and executing a clean OS install with application reinstall?
After months of trying to troubleshoot this, I've already been preparing for a clean OS install. I had done a repair install a month or so ago, but that did not seem to change things, which leads me to believe there is a conflict within an application or download of mine. Unfortunately I cannot figure out what it is though despite my efforts.