[SOLVED] Windows explorer freezes when right clicking/opening drives window directly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rokas2260

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
Hey, I've been running into a strange issue lately..
In my assumption, windows explorer seems to freeze once I: for example, right click on desktop (other places like on files is fine).
OR
when I try to open my drives window aka "This PC" It only shows "working on it..." and doesn't do anything at all. Nothing is loading either. So it just freezes.

However I can open other folders like stuff on my desktop and going to folder through quick access. So I can access my both drives but not through the regular way of opening an explorer directly.

The only things worked is to restart the computer, then everything goes back to normal and I'm able to right click my deskstop properly.
restarting windows explorer also unfreezes whatever is going on but doesn't prevent it from making it happen right after the restart.

I've seen that there are fixes for this through registry but it doesn't make sense to me to do if all this time everything was perfectly fine and now this started happening out of the blue. Especially when half of the time everything works just fine.
Event viewer doesn't seem to see any errors anywhere with this either. I have not installed any new programs that would change or add towards the third party tabs when you right click desktop, so it's just NVIDIA - visual code - one drive

I've also ran sfc /scannow command, but everything is fine, I checked up on disk health through CMD too and everything came back fine as well.

if anybody knows what else I could do about this, let me know !

Solution
I have the exact same issue. And yes, i've done just what you did. All I want to do is copy some files from download to a work directory on my PC. If I click on any file - it just freezes. This last update was BAD!
Jan 5, 2021
I have the exact same issue. And yes, i've done just what you did. All I want to do is copy some files from download to a work directory on my PC. If I click on any file - it just freezes. This last update was BAD!

Solution

Rokas2260

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014

Well I do have an update.. But since this thread was kind of gone unnoticed, I didn't say much more to it..

So some time after posting this thread. I stopped having this once I completely disabled onedrive. It was messing up with all of my data, especially desktop files. Deleting them and running out of space without having the proper settings of asking it not to backup anything.

So every since I completely stopped using it, I haven't had a desktop freeze. I cannot confirm if this truly was the fault of everything, but I can confirm that I'm not dealing with this problem anymore, due to this change being made.

Status
Not open for further replies.