Windows Explorer is not responding (and other issues)

calaveramanny

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015
I'm having a few issues with my PC, which is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit.

A day ago, I logged out of my PC and then logged in. The message "Windows Explorer is not responding" came up, and it wasn't able to restart. The taskbar and icons disappeared, leaving the wallpaper. Now, when I log in, the screen is black with just a moveable cursor.

I am able to log in normally when I use msconfig, disable all services and do a clean reboot, but then after a few seconds "Windows Explorer is not responding" comes up. Ending explorer.exe and restarting it in Task Manager does not work, it will say Task Manager has stopped responding and nothing happens.

I have tried a few solutions:

Booting in Safe Mode with Command Prompt and using sfc /scannow tells me:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log."

In Safe Mode, typing chkdsk c: /f /r which ran a scan after I restarted the PC. It went on for about 3 hours and told me it had replaced a few files, such as wet.dll - but this didn't fix the problem.

Updating Display Adapter Drivers, it downloaded and installed an update, problem remained the same.

Malwarebytes/HitmanPro 3, both only found Tracking Cookies and stuff that wasn't harmful.

I am only able to use programs when I resort to disabling all services in msconfig.exe in Safe Mode, restarting, and then using Task Manager to open them.

calaveramanny

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015
I did a clean install of the latest Nvidia Graphics Drivers, and the problem is fixed for the account I installed on them.

For all other accounts on the PC, there is still a black screen with "Windows Explorer not responding" displaying.