Windows explorer is restarting


Feb 15, 2008
Having a problem with a new Ivy Bridge build hoping someone can shed some light on this. New build, windows 7 64 bit (see sig). I’ve built a few win7 systems, never seen this issue before:

Windows explorer is restarting

Pretty much every 3 or 4 minutes. I’m about 10 hours in on this problem and cannot pin it down. If I’m working in windows it happens, if I’m in a game it happens. The game doesn’t crash, it just kicks me back to windows.

Here’s what I’ve got and what I’ve tried.

Windows 7 64 bit SP1, all up to date
All drivers are up to date (chipset, lan, usb etc from Gigabytes website)
SSD firmware is current
I’ve tried the 2 most recent bios releases

I’ve tried some other RAM
Full virus scan (AVG)
Bios/uefi: tried everything set manually, everything on auto, optimized defaults etc.

Latest AMD catalyst drivers
Latest CAP
sfc /scannow
Windows reinstall

Here is the exact text of the error if I view the problem details:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Explorer.EXE
Application Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Application Timestamp: 4a5bc9bb
Fault Module Name: atiumd64.dll
Fault Module Version:
Fault Module Timestamp: 5064fc85
Exception Code: c000041d
Exception Offset: 000000000019088b
OS Version: 6.1.7600.
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: d8cd
Additional Information 2: d8cdcafc795dc50328a2ad0741abea6e
Additional Information 3: 87ad
Additional Information 4: 87adcf105874c64f7a82efd46308ad2c


app crash is often caused by DEP. If in event viewer (type eventvwr in search) you go to windows logs>application tab and find errors that list app crash and have the event ID 1000 source 100, it is more than likely DEP.

DEP or data execution prevention is located in system control panel>advanced settings>performance> DEP and is by default set to win apps only. You can exclude explorer from the list but only if you are sure it isnt a virus and have the event viewer ID listed above.


Feb 15, 2008
Thanks for the feedback. I think I've got it sorted, typically about 20 minutes after resorting to posting on the boards:

This was the key:

>>Fault Module Name: atiumd64.dll

this is one of the 64 bit components to the Catalyst Control Center/AMD driver.

Turns out there seems to a problem with version 12.10. I installed the beta for 12.11 and that seems to have fixed it.

I had assumed that as I had the latest drivers that there could not be a problem there. Wrong assumption on my part.