windows explorer jams in one profile

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi there,

When I log into my machine as James, it goes allright until I hit windows
explorer or My Computer. Then it jams and hangs and usually I have to hard
reset it to get back in.

If I use Administrator to log in, there's no problem....

What gives?

Thanks,

Gordon

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Logon to James account, and don't use Explorer just yet.

Let's see what Event Viewer has in it's log. Select Start button/ select Run , then type in

eventvwr.msc<enter>
-- or Go to Control Panel / Performance and Maintenance/Administrative Tools >Event Viewer.

Review the sections and look for Errors or Warnings that match the time the event occurred. Double click---the information "may" give a clue.

Also, Right-Click the My Computer icon on desktop. Select Properties.
Next, select Advanced. Look for a block that says Startup and recovery. Press the settings button.
In System failure section, turn off (un-check) Automatically restart. Apply change.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User