Windows Explorer not responding

OmegaSnow

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
Please help, I've been trying to fix my computer for almost 8 hours now...
There are many error messages, and broken things, I'll list as much as I can remember.

Very slow start up.
On start up, no icons and slow mouse...
If I click on the task bar, it stops responding and then ''Windows Explorer has stopped responding''... And I'm left with a blank screen.
CTRL + ALT + DELETE takes a few minutes to load and then I am able to open Windows Task Manager.
I am able to start Explorer.exe from Task Manager, but it's takes a very long time to load and anything I click starts to 'not respond'.
(Sometime I'm unable to even start Explorer.exe)
If I'm lucky after about an hour I can get a few simple tasks to work, like opening Command Prompt... and through that I have been able to try and fix it, these are the things I have tried (the ones I can remember):
Running SFC /scannow in Command Prompt
System Restore (can't, no Restore points)
Virus Scan - Malwarebytes
Deleting iexplorer.exe folder from somewhere (forgotten, but it didnt work)
Clean Boot

(During all this, everything is very slow and frequently stop responding).

Some error messages I recieved (roughly, I can't remember the exact text/error number)

Windows Explorer is not responding
Asus Setup not responding
Can't find Asus Setup.ini
The application was unable to start correctly (for a few applications)
Failure to display security and shut down options
Driver Toolkit randomly opens, with nothing else...
Keyboard and Mouse center has stopped working (or something similar)

Thank you so much for any help you give me.

Solution
I was having a very similar issue but not as severe. Did you install any new hardware recently like a mouse?

If you can get into the cmd line and control panel try this. After I deleted all my old mouse drivers (6 or so) all of my problems went away. This happened on two computers that I installed a logitech mouse on. One computer I formatted the whole thing thinking it was a virus, the other I followed this guide below and it worked. Really quirky.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/remove-old-drivers-after-upgrading-to-new-hardware/

Good luck!
Sometimes I get "Windows Explorer not responding"; then I close that window and press "Windows logo key + E" to open Windows Explorer. Then it is fine.

In your case you seem to have something corrupt or missing. It is better to re-install the OS, and all your programs for a fresh start.

OmegaSnow

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015

Okay, could you tell me how to do that?

Yes. First make a backup of the complete system and all your files on to an external hard disk.

Then insert the original Windows DVD into the optical drive and go from there. Keep in mind that re-installing the OS will delete all your files and programs on the hard disk.

After the OS is re-installed, activate it using the Windows key that you have. Then re-install all other programs.

When this is complete, make a complete backup.

OmegaSnow

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015

Well basically I can't do that because nothing works... Even if I could, my Windows came pre-installed... Thanks for the idea though

OmegaSnow

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015

I don't have any DVD, the pc came with Windows preinstalled...

Contact the manufacturer of the PC (the one who supplied it to you) - they will be able to send you replacement disks.

johnniewalker919

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
I was having a very similar issue but not as severe. Did you install any new hardware recently like a mouse?

If you can get into the cmd line and control panel try this. After I deleted all my old mouse drivers (6 or so) all of my problems went away. This happened on two computers that I installed a logitech mouse on. One computer I formatted the whole thing thinking it was a virus, the other I followed this guide below and it worked. Really quirky.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/remove-old-drivers-after-upgrading-to-new-hardware/

Good luck!

Solution