I've seen plenty of posts about slowdowns, but I still can't find a
solution.

Symptoms: Slow explorer operations - like open start menu (15 sec),
delete a file (30 secs), right-click on something to get properties.
CPU monitor says around 1-2%. There's nothing special happening in the
background.

I can reboot, wait until system is fully booted, and try to open the
start menu and the problem is there. No apps running in the background.

All my other apps run fine - this problem seems to be unique to Windows
Explorer. So I doubt that it's my video card. I use AVG free and
SpyWare S&D and with everything up-to-date and no virus or spyware
problems reported. Rebooting (cold) doesn't help.

My machine is a 6-month old HP notebook Centrino 1.6 GHz. I'm running
XP Pro. Incidentally, I have another (slower) drive with another
install of XP Home and it doesn't have the problem. It's fast as
lightning no matter what I do.

Thanks in advance for any help!

- Paul

Slow operation while in Explorer environment, and slow right-clicks are
usually caused by third-party shell extensions. See if you isolate the
problem using the information available here:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm. Follow "Method 2" in that
article.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP