Windows explorer random freezing

footbrake4life

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
I've searched for hours and hours and I haven't been able to find a solution and I'm going to try my best to explain the issue.

CPU: i7-4790k NO OC
MOBO: Asus ROG Maximum VII Hero Z97
RAM: G.Skill sniper 2x8gb in dual channel
PSU: Corsair CX750 (just warranty replaced for a different issue)
GPU: EVGA gtx1080
2tb HDD as the main drive
Windows 10 Pro - ver. 1803 with current updates

Randomly (I haven't been able to uncontrollably replicate) it seems that the windows explorer (explorer.exe) will freeze/glitch and some programs are usable but some aren't. Sometimes it would allow me to right click the task bar to open task manager, the times that it wouldn't it would let me ctrl+alt+del to task manager. Sometimes it would let me close the current application, other times the application icon on the taskbar would disappear and the blue marker line under the icon would stay. Sometimes 3 or 4 programs would freeze up and not work, including the start menu, but then chrome would open and run fine.

Initially I thought it was a memory error under high use (Revit & Lumion running simultaneously) but this morning it happened while only using photoshop. I have done 2-6 in THIS article with nothing seeming to work and I have also updated to the latest GPU driver.
Disk check = good
mem test = good
gpu = latest
win 10 = latest
all temps are 70c or below

Thank you

footbrake4life

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
I was working on the computer yesterday and I was lucky enough to have the computer do this while I was using it. I quickly opened up task manager and I saw that the GPU usage was -1%. I had issues with a 980ti a couple months ago (not the same issue) and I had this 1080 in another system so I swapped them and the issue disappeared on this computer and haven't happened on the the PC I put the 980ti into so I've always questioned it. I will pull the 1080 out of the system later and inspect the mobo, maybe this issue could be the warning signs of a mobo/cpu failure?

footbrake4life

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
The 1080 gets power from x2 8 pin connectors and I switched the power going to the gpu from x2 8 pins on the same psu cable to x1 8 pin from each of the 2 pcie cables from the psu and the issue hasn't happened in 2 days. Brand new PSU bit I guess there could have been an issue with power delivery. Ill report back if the issue happens again.

TRENDING THREADS