[SOLVED] Windows Explorer / Search / Task View issues

Jul 10, 2020
So, I built this computer a few years ago and haven't had any issues, but today I noticed Windows Search wasn't working properly. As soon as I click on the bar, the box that appears closes immediately and I'm unable to type anything. The same thing happens when I try to use task view either with the button or Win+tab. I then tried to go to settings to use the troubleshooter but when I open anything in settings it behaves like I'm pressing and holding the down arrow key. Super weird.
I've tried re-registering and reinstalling all the windows apps as well as running
sfc/ scannow
and
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
There were some corrupted files that were repaired, so I checked to see if it fixed anything and it didn't, so I reset my computer and ran them again and everything was fine but things still aren't working. Oh, I also saw someone suggest deleting the registry for Search, and that didn't do anything either. I'm at a loss!

Update: I also just tried restoring the computer to the last restore point, 3 weeks ago. This did not help either.

Last edited:
Solution
i generally find you can fix most problems without knowing what the registry is.

what version of win 10?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current version is 2004

I would suggest making a new user but if settings isn't working, that is difficult.

does it do same thing in safe mode? have you tried another keyboard? used the On screen keyboard?
tried an av scan?

Colif

Win 11 Master
i generally find you can fix most problems without knowing what the registry is.

what version of win 10?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current version is 2004

I would suggest making a new user but if settings isn't working, that is difficult.

does it do same thing in safe mode? have you tried another keyboard? used the On screen keyboard?
tried an av scan?

Last edited:
Solution