[SOLVED] Windows Explorer showing wrong disk size

Oct 29, 2021
windows explorer shows far less free space than it should. i have run windirstat and it shows over 100gb more free space than windows explorer does. i have run almost all of the windows troubleshooters and things related to the problem and they show nothing wrong. there is also a 17.5GB basic data partition named "RESTORE" in addition to a recovery partition which i also do not know anything about. View: https://imgur.com/a/aPJ2fAR

Solution
Oh cool, thanks. Is there any way I can copy this over to another drive and delete this partition so I can use that space on this drive
Look in the user manual for how to use that to create a USB to recover with.
Then you can get rid of that partition.
If it were on a different drive, it likely would not work properly.

But in actual fact, that is pretty useless.
You can create your own Win 10 USB, direct from Microsoft.

kanewolf

Titan
windows explorer shows far less free space than it should. i have run windirstat and it shows over 100gb more free space than windows explorer does. i have run almost all of the windows troubleshooters and things related to the problem and they show nothing wrong. there is also a 17.5GB basic data partition named "RESTORE" in addition to a recovery partition which i also do not know anything about. View: https://imgur.com/a/aPJ2fAR
Did you run WinDirStat as admin?

USAFRet

Titan
yeah it is a laptop
That "Restore" partition is to allow you to create a DVD or USB to do a full factory reset with.
This is in case the drive dies.
It will bring it back to the same condition it came out of the box in.

Look in the user manual for how to invoke this.

The manufacturer is required to give you the means for this.
It used to be on a physical DVD.
Now, just a partition on that same drive. Which is absolutely useless if the drive actually dies.

Oct 29, 2021
That "Restore" partition is to allow you to create a DVD or USB to do a full factory reset with.
This is in case the drive dies.
It will bring it back to the same condition it came out of the box in.

Look in the user manual for how to invoke this.

The manufacturer is required to give you the means for this.
It used to be on a physical DVD.
Now, just a partition on that same drive. Which is absolutely useless if the drive actually dies.
Oh cool, thanks. Is there any way I can copy this over to another drive and delete this partition so I can use that space on this drive

USAFRet

Titan
Look in the user manual for how to use that to create a USB to recover with.
Then you can get rid of that partition.
If it were on a different drive, it likely would not work properly.

But in actual fact, that is pretty useless.
You can create your own Win 10 USB, direct from Microsoft.

Solution