Windows Explorer shuts down when opening certain folders

Hello.
For some time I've had troubles with opening certain folders on a
Windows 98 computer from my XP computer. Both when trying open the
folders from Windows Explorer or from other programs, Windows XP
reported an error and Explorer or the program I used was closed.

I have now moved the problematic folders to my XP computer, and the
problem continues.

In win98 the problems primarily showed up when opening certain folders
in the "Documents" folder.
In XP I have moved the whole Documents-folder structure, and now it
seems like there is a problem opening every folder in the
Documents-folder from the win98 computer.

My XP is a danish version, SP2.

Greetings

Filip Skjerning
e-mail: [firstname][lastname]@hotmail.com

What is the verbatim "error" shown in XP? Having that information helps to diagnose the problem ( at least usually).

Also, take a look at the XP system's Event Log:
Select Start button/ select Run , then type in

eventvwr.msc<enter>
-- or Go to Control Panel / Performance and Maintenance/Administrative Tools >Event Viewer.

Review the sections and look for Errors or Warnings that match the time the event occurred. Double click---the information "may" give a clue.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
> What is the verbatim "error" shown in XP? Having that information helps to diagnose the problem ( at least usually).

I don't know what it exactly responds to in english (since I have a
danish version of XP), but it's something like:
"explorer.exe has found an error and will be closed. We are sorry for
the inconvenience" and something more ending with the possibility to
send an error report to Microsoft.
I have uploaded a screen shot here, if it helps:
http://skjerning.net/error1.jpg

> Also, take a look at the XP system's Event Log:
> Select Start button/ select Run , then type in
>
> eventvwr.msc<enter>
> -- or Go to Control Panel / Performance and Maintenance/Administrative Tools >Event Viewer.
>
> Review the sections and look for Errors or Warnings that match the time the event occurred. Double click---the information "may" give a clue.

Not for me. But I'll try to translate a bit of it, if it gives some of
you a clue...

"Erroneous program explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, erroneous modul
ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, erroneous address 0x000106c3"

Here's a screen shot of that: http://skjerning.net/error2.jpg

If you can help me figure out what's wrong, I'll gladly send more
information/screen shots if necessary.

--
Greetings

Filip Skjerning

Filip,

Very nice way of placing your error screens off-line. :)

I get the basic sense of the messages. Now to find why Explorer is abending.

Per your error screen-capture, your NTDLL.DLL is version 5.1.2600.2180 and
Explorer.exe is version 6.00.2900.2180. Both these are the latest version numbers.
Can you find the "date modified" on both these items?

How long has this problem with Explorer been occurring?

Go ahead & attempt to get this same failure. Then let it create a dump file, and take option to send it to Microsoft.
Then let's see if & what response you get.

Meantime, set your Windows Explorer to show all hidden files, and all system folders & files. (Explorer's View Options)

Use the Search function from main start menu. Search for all locations of NTDLL.DLL

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Maurice N ~ MVP skrev:

> Per your error screen-capture, your NTDLL.DLL is version 5.1.2600.2180 and
> Explorer.exe is version 6.00.2900.2180. Both these are the latest version numbers.
> Can you find the "date modified" on both these items?

Both files was modified 2004-08-27 02:53

> How long has this problem with Explorer been occurring?

The problem accessing the "Documents" folder on the win98 computer has
(as far as I remember) occured since I got the XP computer 1 1/2 year ago.
It was not a very big problem for me, and I thought it would be solved
by moving all the document folders to my XP computer. I did that a
couple of weeks ago, but now I get an error as soon as I open any of the
folders moved from my win98-computer (now placed on my XP computer but
on another partition than my XP documents folder).

> Go ahead & attempt to get this same failure. Then let it create a dump file, and take option to send it to Microsoft.
> Then let's see if & what response you get.

"Normally" I don't think, I get that possibility - or I don't know where
to find it. I've tried to send an error report now and then, and only
one time the computer collected a lot of information (maybe that was a
dumb file?). The other times, it just used few seconds to send the report.
A few times, I got a response page - automatically opened in my browser.
In the browser history I found those:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=4ed74944-cf7c-432c-a085-be9e670bef04&SID=1382
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=29be1376-e4b3-496b-ba94-bf320b02db55&SID=1476
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/survey.aspx?&SGD=1b73c48c-27ae-49c5-bfba-520e3de4ecc3

(and I followed their advice and turned off all unnecessary IE add-ons,
but (of course) that didn't make any difference...)

> Meantime, set your Windows Explorer to show all hidden files, and all system folders & files. (Explorer's View Options)
>
> Use the Search function from main start menu. Search for all locations of NTDLL.DLL

C:\Windows\system32
C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386

Both files was modified the same date: 2004-08-27 02:53

--
Greetings

Filip Skjerning