[SOLVED] windows expolorer taking a long time to load and display things. also right clicking has lag

ldotchopz

Commendable
Jul 22, 2019
when i open windows explorer to look at images, it displays the blank page icon instead of the image thumbnails, and takes about 5 seconds for them to load into the thumbnail. it also says "working on it" sometimes when i open a new folder and takes a while to load.

I did just upgrade to a new NVMe 2tb SSD by sebrant. crystal disk shows it speeds of 3gb read and write. maybe something went wrong during the cloning process?

Using windows 10
AMD 3970x
zeneth extreme alpha motherboard
128gb ram
2080 gpu

Solution
I think it is likely a driver.
Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any - this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters can make things worse.
When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.
upload it to an image sharing website and show link here
All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

unless its a side effect of...

ldotchopz

Commendable
Jul 22, 2019
What was the drive you cloned off?
have you got latest Nvidia drivers?

which model Sabrent nvme, it could have drivers or maybe firmware , try downloading the control panel - https://www.sabrent.com/download/sb...cket-nvme4-htsk-1tb-sb-rocket-nvme4-htsk-2tb/
thanks for the reply. the drive i cloned off was a 7 year old 2tb hdd.

the control panel you suggested to download says everything is up to date and running smoothly.

I have the latest nvidia drivers installed too

Colif

Win 11 Master
What tool did you use to clone drive?

ok, does the slow down thing happen in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

ldotchopz

Commendable
Jul 22, 2019
What tool did you use to clone drive?

ok, does the slow down thing happen in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

I used Macrium Reflect to clone it.
it seems fine in safe mode as you suggested. what do you think this means?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think it is likely a driver.
Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any - this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters can make things worse.
When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.
upload it to an image sharing website and show link here
All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

unless its a side effect of the clone process, i have asked elsewhere.,

Solution