[SOLVED] Windows external SATA adapter issue

RTechT

Reputable
Aug 27, 2020
I recently bought a UGreen SATA to USB adapter and tried two hard disks. Both had the same result. When I attached them, they both showed as USB Drive G and upon opening the drive an error message pops up and says "Please insert a disk into drive (G:)". The drives work so I don't think it's the drives, I installed them in the PC and they showed up and worked just fine. The adapter is a USB 3.0, but I've read that 3.0 can work on 2.0 ports at the loss of speed in data transfer. I'm at a loss and don't know what to do. Help would be much appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of the motherboard that you're working with? You might want to plug into a port and not a hub or the front panle, rather the rear I/O ports and see if your experience changes. OS version if you're on Windows 10?

RTechT

Reputable
Aug 27, 2020
The motherboard is an HP one, comes with an HP Compaq 8200 Elite MT, I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and I have a 3.5 inch disk. Is there a way to provide it more power or do I need to buy an adapter that supports a 3.5 inch disk?