Windows Failed To Start...(Sigh)

Brekka

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
Keep getting this error on my HP Pavillion dv5 Notebook.

"Windows failed to start a recent hardware or software change might be the cause."

Error: 0xc0000098

An unexpected error occurred.

Ran a HDD test, was told to replace the HDD, did that and the error still persists. Installed Windows 7 on a USB and tried to boot up from there, but keep getting "Windows Setup [ EMS Enabled ] which doesn't work as well. Safe modes don't work at all. Windows loads the files, then back to the error message.

Any solutions? Tried running a memory diagnostic, but the laptop would shut itself off on 2 of 2.

Solution
I thought...well I didn't think ems was an option on the usb installation drive but ok if you're sure.
So wait, when you get to setup, do you mean you hit the install button or is the crash happening before you even get to the install/repair screen?
Error: 0xc0000098 is a boot error and normally you would basically reconstruct your boot loader, but I'm not sure how you'll do it if you can't get to the install/repair main screen when you put in the usb, that'll at least let you select repair and get to a command prompt. If you could, this is the more detailed instructions on how: https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-boot-error-0xc0000098-on-windows-7-8-and-10/
Also...your iso may be corrupt if you can't even get to install screen, might be...

AtlBo

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
Do you have an image backup of the system? If not, you might want to try to create one in the future. Sometimes, these types of issues can take a while to fix and may require trying a number of options. This makes the restoration option look nice in comparison, even if it takes some work to get the most current personal files...

Brekka

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016

I've tried this countless times, the boot order always starts from "USB Floppy." Once I turn on the laptop, the USB stick flickers along with the error message. It's reading the USB. Once I hit enter, I only have the option to select Windows Setup [ EMS Enabled ]

Is this the end of my laptop? I need this laptop to transfer files in order to wipe a corrupted Win 10 on another laptop.

Sedivy

Estimable
USB floppy is not the same as usb so it might not be reading it before the hdd still. The other worry is if you've made the usb bootable or not before installing windows 7 on it.

First, check that your usb is indeed made to be bootable.
Then, once you're certain that it is, and it still doesn't give it to you as a boot option when you start up and press F8 (or F2, or F12 depending on the model), you could try adding the option to your laptop to boot from usb:
https://www.raymond.cc/blog/doing-the-impossible-boot-computer-from-usb-or-cdrom-even-if-bios-not-supported-using-plop/

Otherwise, you can try doing /scannow from within windows safe mode to see if you can repair your current installation:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-repair-your-system-files-using-dism-and-sfc/1021b42a-09ff-41a0-a95a-48f3ee3ae699?auth=1

Brekka

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016

The USB works. It always gives me an option to select Windows Setup [ EMS Enabled ] If I take out the USB, the laptop gives me a notification message that it isn't detected. My problem is that once I select the setup, it loads the files, then back to the error message.

Running scannow isn't an option. I can't run scannow, because I can't even run safe mode. The error pops up every time.

Sedivy

Estimable
I thought...well I didn't think ems was an option on the usb installation drive but ok if you're sure.
So wait, when you get to setup, do you mean you hit the install button or is the crash happening before you even get to the install/repair screen?
Error: 0xc0000098 is a boot error and normally you would basically reconstruct your boot loader, but I'm not sure how you'll do it if you can't get to the install/repair main screen when you put in the usb, that'll at least let you select repair and get to a command prompt. If you could, this is the more detailed instructions on how: https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-boot-error-0xc0000098-on-windows-7-8-and-10/
Also...your iso may be corrupt if you can't even get to install screen, might be worth it to redownload and reinstall it on the usb if all else fails.

Solution