Windows Failimg After New Gaming Build

Caleb Bach

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
Hey guys, yesterday I finally received the last few parts for my gaming PC build. Unfortunately, windows will now not start up at all.

My motherboard, CPU, and RAM all get read properly, and I have connection to my monitor through my video card. BIOS will start up but when windows tried to start it fails as it's trying to form the logo, flashes blue, and then restarts.

I have been through recovery, restored my hdd to factory, and have tried everything I can think of. It now skips the recovery step and gives me a few safe mode options, and start normally. All of which fail to start.

What could possibly be wrong? One thing to note is my HDD is from my older computer, would that effect anything?

Caleb Bach

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
How would I go about doing so? My old build does not have a windows disk. Would I be able to just go buy a new disk and use the same HDD or would I need to purchase a new hard drive as well?

g-unit1111

Titan
Did you plug your primary boot drive into SATA-0? The primary boot drive must always be plugged into SATA-0 otherwise the motherboard's BIOS won't recognize it accordingly. If it isn't then you need to do so and set the BIOS to the drive that Windows is installed on as the primary boot device (most BIOS have it under a menu called "Boot Disk") , otherwise it will happen every time you start your system.

Caleb Bach

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
I am plugged into SATA-1. I don't see a 0, although my manual says I can create a RAID-0 configuration through my SB950 controller. Trying to figure out what that means.

Docom_

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
It could. It could also be Windows having trouble with the new hardware. I suggest you try the following in order:
1. Run the System File Checker from recovery ("sfc /scannow").
2. Check if there's a minidump from the last crash hidden somewhere (c:\windows\minidump) - you'll have to copy it to another machine to read it (look for Nir Sofer's BlueScreenView for that).
3. Scan the disk for bad sectors ("chkdsk /r") while you're at it.
4. Reinstall Windows. This is the only really destructive step of these four, so backup everything first (I should really stress it: BACKUP EVERYTHING FIRST).

Good luck!

Docom_

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
The primary boot drive must always be plugged into SATA-0 otherwise the motherboard's BIOS won't recognize it accordingly
But he did get to the Windows bootloader and the bootloader did start the OS (or at least it seems it did), so this isn't the problem. Also, this isn't ATA - SATA is much more flexible in terms of the order of drives' connections.

I don't see a 0, although my manual says I can create a RAID-0 configuration... Trying to figure out what that means.
RAIDs are a family of technique for using multiple physical drives as if they were a single logical drive, for reasons of redundancy or performance. It's irrelevant to your issue.

Caleb Bach

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
I'm using an Asus M5 99X Evo R2.0.

And yeah, I get the blue screen right before the logo finished. I can put my HDD back in my old rig and it will start up.

Am I going to need to buy a fresh copy of 7?

g-unit1111

Titan

No it's got to be something to do with the way your boot devices are setup. If your motherboard's BIOS says that your primary boot drive is plugged into one port and the drive itself is plugged into another, you will get boot failure every time. I've had this happen on many occasions. Looking the pictures the board does have 8 x SATA ports, and I would assume that like most Asus boards the two black connectors would be SATA-0 and SATA-1. Try plugging your HD into one of those and then set the BIOS accordingly.

g-unit1111

Titan

Have you tried what I said yet? If you plug your HD into one port you have to make sure the BIOS recognizes the HD on that port.