[SOLVED] Windows failing to boot after RAM change

Sep 6, 2021
Hi guys, thanks so much in advance for your assistance.

Problem:
  • Swapped out my ram today from 2x8gb DDR4 3200mhz to 2x16gb DDR4 3200mhz.
  • When I booted, all I got was a black screen. I powered off/on a few times and eventually got the following message:
    • "devices changed (CPU or memory) or CMOS have been cleared. Please enter bios to configure your system".
  • I entered bios, checked all components were being recognised (all were, including RAM), and restarted.
  • I got black screen again. Powered off/on. Eventually I got a blue screen saying my copy of Windows has some error and needs repairing (something about a kernel.exe file?).
  • I selected repair, but the PC just restarted and back to black screen.
  • Now, every time I restarted the PC, I just get the following message:
    • "reboot and select proper boot device"
Tried so far:
  • Swapping back in the old RAM - doesn't seem to have any impact.
  • Resetting BIOS using flathead screwdriver against pins; also removed and replaced battery.
  • Booting from USB drive which has Windows installation installed.
Outcome and questions
  • None of the above has worked, and I'm really confused. Literally all I did was replace the RAM, so am pretty confused as to whether this is a BIOS issue or my windows copy is actually corrupted. Any help appreciated.
PC Specs:
  • AMD RYZEN 5 3600
  • MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX II ATX MOBO
  • RADEON 6700XT GPU
  • Samsung EVO 970 SSD

Solution
Windows 10 by default isn't off when you shut it down. it uses a hybred hibernate.
Files are saved in ram or storage so when you start its faster to load
problems occur when you unplug PC and or remove ram as then its lost files
i have seen it before, it tends to corrupt files. you don't really need it with NVME or SSD, it only helps on hdd as it makes them look faster than they are.

I suspect you need to clean install win 10 on ssd since it can't find it now

I don't think its the ram to blame. so use new ones and follow this

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
boot from installer
follow this guide...
Sep 6, 2021
**UPDATE:

So I just realised the USB drive I was using was the wrong one - I inserted another one with the Windows boot media installed.

The PC booted from this USB successfully, however none of the repairs/diagnostics worked. Basically, it couldn't even find a copy of windows installed.

My bios shows my SSD connected, but is it possible that somehow I've damaged the SSD in handling the PC/replacing the RAM? Really not sure how this could've happened, but a bit stuck on ideas.

Thanks

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows 10 by default isn't off when you shut it down. it uses a hybred hibernate.
Files are saved in ram or storage so when you start its faster to load
problems occur when you unplug PC and or remove ram as then its lost files
i have seen it before, it tends to corrupt files. you don't really need it with NVME or SSD, it only helps on hdd as it makes them look faster than they are.

I suspect you need to clean install win 10 on ssd since it can't find it now

I don't think its the ram to blame. so use new ones and follow this

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
boot from installer
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

see if anything exists
  • on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 6, 2021
Thanks. Yeah I figured in the end it must be something to do with Windows being corrupted. A clean install did the trick. Annoying but not the end of the world. Thanks for your help.

Sep 6, 2021
Thanks. Yeah I figured in the end it must be something to do with Windows being corrupted. A clean install did the trick. Annoying but not the end of the world. Thanks for your help.