Question Windows fails to find NVME drive for install

Dec 16, 2020
Spent 6 hours troubleshooting this thing. This is third motherboard after 2 RMAs, can see the nvme drive clearly in the BIOS, but windows fails to find it. It is running in AHCI mode, in UEFI (not CSM), have tried x16 and x4/x4/x4/x4 on the pci configuration. Have flipped just about everything I can think of in the bios, updated the bios to an 11/13 build, flashed the bios. I'm at a loss. Even tried a couple of old Samsung evos I've got laying around, and both which are clean drives, cause windows to go into a boot loop when attempting to load windows so that was no dice either. Please, please help.

Just to note, ssd was successfully installed to and used on a separate Intel based system as a test.

System specs:
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi AM4 board
Ryzen 5 3600X
HP EX950 Gen3 ssd (for boot drive)
2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 memory
RX 5700 XT
850W Gold Certified psu

Dec 16, 2020
Did test with 1 stick, tried both m.2 slots, and have tried 3 different Windows 10 installs, 1 new install flash drive from store and 2 burned from recent installation media.

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I do appreciate you replying, but as stated in the original post, the bios was updated to the most recent bios from MSI released on 11/13/2020.

OK, what I would do is install it on a SSD first, those 2.5" ones if you have spare ones lying around, then clone it to the NVME to see if this will work. Maybe an issue with the installation process as the NVME is invariably on a pcie slot, maybe that is why it's not picking it up on installation. I don't know for sure

Dec 16, 2020
OK, what I would do is install it on a SSD first, those 2.5" ones if you have spare ones lying around, then clone it to the NVME to see if this will work. Maybe an issue with the installation process as the NVME is invariably on a pcie slot, maybe that is why it's not picking it up on installation. I don't know for sure
Have 2 spare 2.5" ssds that both cause Windows on that machine to enter a reboot cycle at the start of the installation process. Also did install Win10 to it on another system, inserted the m.2, and the bios didn't recognize the windows boot manager on it so it wasn't selectable as a boot drive in the boot device priority

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Have 2 spare 2.5" ssds that both cause Windows on that machine to enter a reboot cycle at the start of the installation process. Also did install Win10 to it on another system, inserted the m.2, and the bios didn't recognize the windows boot manager on it so it wasn't selectable as a boot drive in the boot device priority

Just need to do the installation, clone and then throw the 2.5" out

Dec 16, 2020
Dec 16, 2020
When Windows is attempting to load files for install; select 64 bit installation, says its loading files, then goes to the dot spin, then reboot, rinse and repeat. Pretty sure I've narrowed the issue to the cpu. I've tried different ram, different nvme drive, different motherboard, different psu, and different gpu