Windows Fails to Format Dvd/Cd

insanepuppet

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
I'm having an odd burning problem. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I have a TSSTcorp CD/Dvd/DL/Lightscribe burner. SATA if that matters. Any time I try to reformat a disk using the live file system it tells me Windows failed to format. I can burn movies with ConvertXtoDvd, and can burn with ImgBurn. Sometimes when I'm using ConvertX the menu comes up from my Turbo V Evo as if I right clicked on the icon in the lower right corner. If I attempt to install Nero or Ashampoo it will install, but when I click on the icon on my desktop, the splash screen comes up and thats it.

I've tried uninstalling my drive and reinstalling it, making sure all cables were secure. I've ran a file system check as well, I was told every once in a while burning programs will knock out a system file. Any advice? Could it be Turbo V Evo? I would prefer not to uninstall it unless I have to. I'll give any other specs needed on my computer. Its only two months old, and everything was bought at one time, so no new hardware. Its been doing it since I bought the computer, and does it with Cd's and Dvd's. Any brand, any type.

electrontau

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Are you trying to use the DVD as a hard drive? First you need to use DVD RW (rewritable). I have not seen any DVD DL that is RW.

I know that Nero has a program called InCD that makes the DVD RW behave as hard drive. You can format the DVD, but will have less than 4.5GB since some is used during the format.

insanepuppet

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
I'm just trying to use the live file system to burn random files to disk. I've had this problem since I bought the computer, well before I installed Nero, so I would assume it isn't that. I uninstalled it after it didnt work. It does it with cd's as well, so I wouldn't guess its the disks i'm using. tried 3 separate brands of dvd's and 2 kinds of cd's just to overkill the issue last night and rule it out lol. even tried different sata ports just in case. i'm at a loss.... only thing i can guess is the burner is factory defective? i don't have another burner lyin around to test it.

TRENDING THREADS