Windows fails to install any USB device drivers

Apr 16, 2018
Hi all, yesterday my friend gave me this computer asking me to try to fix it. It has a P5VD2-MX as motherboard and an old Pentium 4 as CPU. The problem is that after the O.S. (Windows 7 Professional x32) loads, my mouse and keyboard work well but as soon as it tries to install their drivers it suddenly fails and make them stop working. From that moment on any device I try to plug in Windows will fail to install its driver making any USB port unusable. The strange thing is that in the BIOS they simply work and even in the rapair tools (now I don't know the specific name. I'm saying the one labeled as "Rapair Your Computer" from the menu you get pressing the F8 key during boot)

I tried either the safe mode and restoring a the system to an old state but with no results because the problem starts from the beginning. What can I try to do? Any suggestions?
Thanks.

EDIT: Forgot to write this, I can't reinstall the OS because my not-so-expert friend would like to recover some files from the HDD without losing what he did in the past years.

Apr 16, 2018

Thanks for your reply. I've just updated the BIOS, but nothing has changed, Windows keeps failing the drivers installation. I've also edited the firt post writing that I can't reinstall the OS.

Any other suggestions?