[SOLVED] Windows file explorer causing 100% disk. Can't perform any actions. How to fix?

Nov 7, 2019
Woke up one morning and found that my disk is constantly on 100. Desktop takes forever to load. Barely get any actions or performances done, Microsoft windows not responding message always pops up. Found that when I ended file explorer, the desktop, taskbar etc was gone but the disk came to the normal levels. I've done system restore to 2 weeks ago but still facing same problem. I'm using windows 8 Pro.

And solutions? I've never seen this problem anywhere online.

Solution
It is always possible the drive is simply failing....

I'd transplant it to another PC and see if it can be read there, health checked via CrystalDiskINfo, etc..

Once ownership is assumed, if it hangs there, causes long access times, hangs on 100% busy trying to read one simple file, it's quite possible it's remaining hours of usefulness could be measured in minutes vice hours.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Could be good to run a check of the disc with a tool from the manufacturer if they have one.

Or not just do a system restore, but a complete new install. Make sure to have back ups from data you want to keep.

hard to say for sure which of the above, depends if the problem is software or hardware.

Nov 7, 2019
Could be good to run a check of the disc with a tool from the manufacturer if they have one.

Or not just do a system restore, but a complete new install. Make sure to have back ups from data you want to keep.

hard to say for sure which of the above, depends if the problem is software or hardware.
Problem is definitely software as when I end windows file explorer, my desktop and everything goes away, but my disk drops to normal rates. So I'm confused about that.

I recently downloaded xyplorer to browse and access files on the computer for now, in the mean time. Xyplorer is working well, like Normal. So windows file explorer os definitely the problem here. I don't know it it can be uninstalled and reinstalled because it's not found under programs and features. If there's maybe a way to replace windows 8 Pro file explorer with a good one?

It is always possible the drive is simply failing....

I'd transplant it to another PC and see if it can be read there, health checked via CrystalDiskINfo, etc..

Once ownership is assumed, if it hangs there, causes long access times, hangs on 100% busy trying to read one simple file, it's quite possible it's remaining hours of usefulness could be measured in minutes vice hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blade_226
Solution