windows file that sums up all users

maximdelaet

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015
Hi everyone,

I'm studying ICT and we learned about the etc/passwd file in Linux,
Where you are able to see all users accounts available on the operating system and their group(s).
(We also got the shadow file with the hashed passwords of 'all' users but this is less important atm.)
I wanted to see all the available users on my windows PC, so now i'm wondering if there is any similar file (equivalent to the passwd file) in windows systems?

Thanks a lot!

Maxim

Solution
Hello maximdelaet

There is no such file in Windows (at least not in my knowledge) but there is a directory that contains a folder for every user account that Windows has. You can access the folder by typing %SYSTEMDRIVE%\USERS in the command prompt or in the Run command box.

To check which user belongs to which group, you can go to Computer Management > Local Users and Groups > Users and check the user accounts with their corresponding groups.

To open Computer Management, type COMPMGMT.MSC in the Run command box.

Hope this helps. :)
Hello maximdelaet

There is no such file in Windows (at least not in my knowledge) but there is a directory that contains a folder for every user account that Windows has. You can access the folder by typing %SYSTEMDRIVE%\USERS in the command prompt or in the Run command box.

To check which user belongs to which group, you can go to Computer Management > Local Users and Groups > Users and check the user accounts with their corresponding groups.

To open Computer Management, type COMPMGMT.MSC in the Run command box.

Hope this helps. :)

Solution