[SOLVED] Windows files corrupting on brand new drives/brand new windows install.

Feb 4, 2021
Hey! I frequently do PC builds for friends and family and have never run into such a ridiculous issue. All of my other builds have had no issues. This one in particular was SUPPOSED to be my best build yet. Ryzen 7 3700x, 2070 Super, 32 GB RAM, Plenty of power for modularity, AND a 2 TB HDD.
I've been having a problem, where every time I reboot, the windows files corrupt. I bought an m.2 stick, placed my OS on it, completely reformatted all drives, and did a clean windows install on the m.2. Once i started the pc, everything worked fine until I rebooted next. I assumed that the problem HAD to be a faulty HDD, so I bought a brand new samsung 870 SSD from Best Buy. I uninstalled the HDD, and installed the SSD. Now I have two brand new hard drives. Somehow, that didn't fix my issue. Could it be a RAM or a MOBO issue? Or did I get super unlucky with this build?

Solution
Several things come to mind to check/ask. When you say M.2 drive are you talking about a SATA M.2 or NVMe M.2? Also you said after a reboot the installation becomes corrupted! Okay at what point does this corruption occur? I ask because during Win10 install it reboots when it's finished installing. Does the corruption occur during one of the reboots of the Win10 installation procedure or sometime after? Also are you installing while connected to the internet? If so pull ethernet and install without internet access.

Try and do an install with no other drives attached except for the drive you're installing Win10 too....the Boot drive.

Also that bios version, 5007, is from June of 2019. Quite old now. You might try...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Plenty of power for modularity is not the make and model of the PSU. Please include that and the models of the rest of your build specs for us to get some semblance if it's a hardware issue.

On the topic of OS installation, did you use Windows Media Creation Tools to fabricate your installer for the OS? You might want to also look into the BIOS version for your motherboard.

Feb 4, 2021
Okay! I'll have to get the exact make and model from the friend i built the pc for. He's been coming to me about this problem before. The BIOS version seems like it might be the problem though, I was under the impression that the Windows Media Creation tool would work universally. I used the same install tool on my current pc, and I've not run into any of the same problems.
I'll catch him when he wakes up and have him give me the full specs. It's currently 4:40 am EST, so I might be a couple hours. This problem is really just eating at me, personally, so I stayed up all night trying to find solutions.
Is there any specific information you'll need for his rig? I want to know so I can get ya as much data as possible so we can get this fixed.

Feb 4, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Plenty of power for modularity is not the make and model of the PSU. Please include that and the models of the rest of your build specs for us to get some semblance if it's a hardware issue.

On the topic of OS installation, did you use Windows Media Creation Tools to fabricate your installer for the OS? You might want to also look into the BIOS version for your motherboard.
CPU
AMD ryzen 7 2700x eight-core processor, 3700 mhz, 8 core(s)

GPU
NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2060

Disk Drives
Samsung ssd 860 EVO 1tb

Samsung ssd 860 evo m.2 250 gb

RAM
Speed 2133 MHz
16gb

PSU
EVGA 750 gq semi modular gold rated 80+ power supply

MOBO
ASUSTEK PRIME X470-pro REV X0.x
BIOS Version 5007

And yes, I did use Windows Creation Tools to fabricate my OS installer.

bamainark

Distinguished
May 6, 2012
Several things come to mind to check/ask. When you say M.2 drive are you talking about a SATA M.2 or NVMe M.2? Also you said after a reboot the installation becomes corrupted! Okay at what point does this corruption occur? I ask because during Win10 install it reboots when it's finished installing. Does the corruption occur during one of the reboots of the Win10 installation procedure or sometime after? Also are you installing while connected to the internet? If so pull ethernet and install without internet access.

Try and do an install with no other drives attached except for the drive you're installing Win10 too....the Boot drive.

Also that bios version, 5007, is from June of 2019. Quite old now. You might try updating to a later bios although that shouldn't be the cause of your issue.

How do you have your bios set? Ensure AHCI is set for the SATA option and not RAID. Not sure what the default is for your board. Also how do you have Boot Menu set up? With or without CSM? UEFI vs Legacy boot?

Also mentioned I'd be thinking a Ram issue. Can you try running/installing using one Ram stick?

Can you start Win10 in SAFE mode vs Normal boot?

Last edited:
Solution