Windows Firewall won't load

Have XP SP2 and the firewall has been running for some time. Now I have a
security warning in the system tray saying the firewall won't load.

When I follow the recommendation to turn it on, it says it can't turn it on
and recommends going into Control Panel. When I try to turn it on here, I
get a message saying:

"Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
service."

The only thing that I have done to the system was I installed the beta of
the Microsoft AntiSpyware software. I believe the problem started after I
installed and ran this. I have subsequently removed it, but it has not fixed
the problem.

Error Message When You Try to Turn On Internet Connection Sharing
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827328&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"rlittleson" wrote:

| Have XP SP2 and the firewall has been running for some time. Now I have a
| security warning in the system tray saying the firewall won't load.
|
| When I follow the recommendation to turn it on, it says it can't turn it on
| and recommends going into Control Panel. When I try to turn it on here, I
| get a message saying:
|
| "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
| service."
|
| The only thing that I have done to the system was I installed the beta of
| the Microsoft AntiSpyware software. I believe the problem started after I
| installed and ran this. I have subsequently removed it, but it has not fixed
| the problem.
|
| Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the reply. Went through these steps, but it didn't address it.
All of those services had a check in front of them - although some were
stopped.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

rlittleson wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. Went through these steps, but it didn't address it.
> All of those services had a check in front of them - although some were
> stopped.
>
> Any other thoughts?
Hi

Registering the following DLLs might help.

From Start/Run, run the following commands:

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\atl.dll

then

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\hnetcfg.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netshell.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netcfgx.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netman.dll

Then do a reboot.

If the above doesn't work, see if the tip from Karl B/Melvin
Salazar works for you, changing the log on account for the
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service:

<quote>

From: "Karl B" <karl@gfield.org.uk>
Subject: Possible solution to the windows update 0x800A0046 problem
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 12:03:39 +0100
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.xpsp2.general

Firstly, I take no credit for this I was going though the network
newsgroup because my dialup network settings had vanished and a guy
named Melvin Salazar suggested the following which WORKED!

'You can also try doing the following, it worked for me:

Go to Services under the Administrative Tools folder.

Notice that the logon account is set to a NT/User account under the RPC
(remote procedure call) service. Change it to Local System account,
under the Logon tab, and restart the computer. Many of these services
depend on the RPC, but there was an error when it came to configuring
this paticular service.'

Now once I made these changes I was able to get my network icons back
as well as use Windows Update.

Thanks
Karl

</quote>

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

which services in the kb article list were not started? if it's critical to
the firewall, you'll need to get them started before the firewall can start.
I'd take a quick look through eventvwr and see if there are any errors from
the service controller about failing to start these services.

--
David
Microsoft Windows Networking

"rlittleson" <rlittleson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the reply. Went through these steps, but it didn't address it.
> All of those services had a check in front of them - although some were
> stopped.
>
> Any other thoughts?
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Error Message When You Try to Turn On Internet Connection Sharing
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827328&Product=winxp
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>>
>> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

>> "rlittleson" wrote:
>>
>> | Have XP SP2 and the firewall has been running for some time. Now I
>> have a
>> | security warning in the system tray saying the firewall won't load.
>> |
>> | When I follow the recommendation to turn it on, it says it can't turn
>> it on
>> | and recommends going into Control Panel. When I try to turn it on
>> here, I
>> | get a message saying:
>> |
>> | "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing
>> (ICS)
>> | service."
>> |
>> | The only thing that I have done to the system was I installed the beta
>> of
>> | the Microsoft AntiSpyware software. I believe the problem started
>> after I
>> | installed and ran this. I have subsequently removed it, but it has not
>> fixed
>> | the problem.
>> |
>> | Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello there. I have exactly the same problem as rlittleson as in the Windows
Firewall won't load and this only started happening after i had installed the
Beta version of MS Spyware.

I have followed all the steps detailed in all the replies and the issue is
still there.
Are there any other things we can try.

Thanks

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

> rlittleson wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the reply. Went through these steps, but it didn't address it.
> > All of those services had a check in front of them - although some were
> > stopped.
> >
> > Any other thoughts?
> Hi
>
> Registering the following DLLs might help.
>
> From Start/Run, run the following commands:
>
> regsvr32 %windir%\system32\atl.dll
>
> then
>
> regsvr32 %windir%\system32\hnetcfg.dll
> regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netshell.dll
> regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netcfgx.dll
> regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netman.dll
>
> Then do a reboot.
>

> If the above doesn't work, see if the tip from Karl B/Melvin
> Salazar works for you, changing the log on account for the
> Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service:
>

> <quote>
>
> From: "Karl B" <karl@gfield.org.uk>
> Subject: Possible solution to the windows update 0x800A0046 problem
> Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 12:03:39 +0100
> Newsgroups: microsoft.private.xpsp2.general
>
> Firstly, I take no credit for this I was going though the network
> newsgroup because my dialup network settings had vanished and a guy
> named Melvin Salazar suggested the following which WORKED!
>
> 'You can also try doing the following, it worked for me:
>
> Go to Services under the Administrative Tools folder.
>
> Notice that the logon account is set to a NT/User account under the RPC
> (remote procedure call) service. Change it to Local System account,
> under the Logon tab, and restart the computer. Many of these services
> depend on the RPC, but there was an error when it came to configuring
> this paticular service.'
>
> Now once I made these changes I was able to get my network icons back
> as well as use Windows Update.
>
> Thanks
> Karl
>
> </quote>

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

This hint from the spyware newsgroup helped in my case. Simple.
All systems up and running.

From: microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity

Subject: Re: Firewall
From: "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> Sent:
1/8/2005 10:03:59 PM

Please try this:

At a command prompt type:

netsh winsock reset

and hit enter
restart your computer.

IT WORKS!!!!!....LOL

I DID ALL 3 OF THEM..AND IT WORKS..
THANKS GUYS FOR THE HELP!
..

i HAD THE SAME PROBLEM SINCE I INSTALLED THE SPYWARE FROM MICROSOFT..

"rlittleson" wrote:

> Have XP SP2 and the firewall has been running for some time. Now I have a
> security warning in the system tray saying the firewall won't load.
>
> When I follow the recommendation to turn it on, it says it can't turn it on
> and recommends going into Control Panel. When I try to turn it on here, I
> get a message saying:
>
> "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
> service."
>
> The only thing that I have done to the system was I installed the beta of
> the Microsoft AntiSpyware software. I believe the problem started after I
> installed and ran this. I have subsequently removed it, but it has not fixed
> the problem.

I have the same problem.. so will try this. My MS AntiSpyware (Beta) has
been installed for some time without problem. Also have Ad-aware free
edition. But just got about 100 spyware on system today! MSAS went
berserk! Got a lot and Ad-aware got some more. Downloaded and installed
WinPatrol, Ewido security suite and SpywareBlaster. Now downloading ZoneAlarm.

It's like my PC has 4 or5 condoms on!

Did a Google search and there's also something here:
http://www.techspot.com/vb/archive/index/t-16323.html

~graham
"The best years of our lives were sent on a computer"
__whether we wanted to or not.

"friedrich" wrote:

> This hint from the spyware newsgroup helped in my case. Simple.
> All systems up and running.
>
> From: microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity
>
> Subject: Re: Firewall
> From: "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> Sent:
> 1/8/2005 10:03:59 PM
>
> Please try this:
>
> At a command prompt type:
>
> netsh winsock reset
>
> and hit enter
> restart your computer.

If you turn off scripting in IE you would never need to worry about Spyware
again.

Give it a try for a week. You will be amazed at how much better your system
runs.

"furball" <furball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem.. so will try this. My MS AntiSpyware (Beta) has
> been installed for some time without problem. Also have Ad-aware free
> edition. But just got about 100 spyware on system today! MSAS went
> berserk! Got a lot and Ad-aware got some more. Downloaded and installed
> WinPatrol, Ewido security suite and SpywareBlaster. Now downloading
> ZoneAlarm.
>
> It's like my PC has 4 or5 condoms on!
>
> Did a Google search and there's also something here:
> http://www.techspot.com/vb/archive/index/t-16323.html
>
> ~graham
> "The best years of our lives were sent on a computer"
> __whether we wanted to or not.

> "friedrich" wrote:
>

>> This hint from the spyware newsgroup helped in my case. Simple.
>> All systems up and running.
>>
>> From: microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity
>>
>> Subject: Re: Firewall
>> From: "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> Sent:
>> 1/8/2005 10:03:59 PM
>>
>> Please try this:
>>
>> At a command prompt type:
>>
>> netsh winsock reset
>>
>> and hit enter
>> restart your computer.

At a command prompt type:
netsh winsock reset
and hit enter
THIS WORKS....

* turn off scripting in IE ..... Thank you..

I will try that..

I'm using Firefox 1, [not because I don't like MSIE] but because I fell in
love with using it and the plugins at 1st sight. (Alright I have a boring
life - the only bright spot is the malware, trojens, spyware, and funny extra
Reg Keys I now have..)

Poor old MSIE6, or should I say THE VERY LATEST version was asleep when it
got hit with home page, search change and new folders in Favourites
extolling me to gamble with wine, women and song... Well, I've already done
all that, and I still not happy!!!!

What MSAS and Ad-aware missed Ewido got another 9 x Bargain Buddy and 1 x
Winpup32..

SpyBot S&D after Ewido got TurboDownload, DSOExploit, DyFuCa,
ISearchTech.PowerScan and ShopAtHome. ( Pity I don't have a credit card. )

Who is this Bargain Buddy? He's a persistent little devil...

~graham
"We'll always have Windows 95..."

"Curt Briscar" wrote:

> If you turn off scripting in IE you would never need to worry about Spyware
> again.
>
> Give it a try for a week. You will be amazed at how much better your system
> runs.
>

> "furball" <furball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have the same problem.. so will try this. My MS AntiSpyware (Beta) has
> > been installed for some time without problem. Also have Ad-aware free
> > edition. But just got about 100 spyware on system today! MSAS went
> > berserk! Got a lot and Ad-aware got some more. Downloaded and installed
> > WinPatrol, Ewido security suite and SpywareBlaster. Now downloading
> > ZoneAlarm.
> >
> > It's like my PC has 4 or5 condoms on!
> >
> > Did a Google search and there's also something here:
> > http://www.techspot.com/vb/archive/index/t-16323.html
> >
> > ~graham
> > "The best years of our lives were sent on a computer"
> > __whether we wanted to or not.

> > "friedrich" wrote:
> >

> >> This hint from the spyware newsgroup helped in my case. Simple.
> >> All systems up and running.
> >>
> >> From: microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity
> >>
> >> Subject: Re: Firewall
> >> From: "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> Sent:
> >> 1/8/2005 10:03:59 PM
> >>
> >> Please try this:
> >>
> >> At a command prompt type:
> >>
> >> netsh winsock reset
> >>
> >> and hit enter
> >> restart your computer.

Found the solution to your problem. I had the same thing happen. Some
program or virus caused your winsock settings to be changed. You can
fix this with the free program winsockfix at
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html It gives you the option
of backing up the registry before doing the fix which I did but had no
problems. As soon as I restarted, I was able to turn the sp2 firewall
back on.

Hope this helps.

--
imaref
imaref's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=9684

imaref wrote:

> Found the solution to your problem. I had the same thing happen. Some
> program or virus caused your winsock settings to be changed. You can
> fix this with the free program winsockfix at
> http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html It gives you the option
> of backing up the registry before doing the fix which I did but had no
> problems. As soon as I restarted, I was able to turn the sp2 firewall
> back on.
Hi

For WinXP SP2, this should also fix it:

Start/Run --> cmd.exe

and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:

netsh.exe winsock reset

and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Trying to back up the registry with Winsock and TCP Repair Utility,
I get the following message..

______________________________
Warning!

X Error saving file
C:\ERDNT\SECURITY !

Continue with the next file?

Yes No
______________________________

Using WinXP SP2 with every latest patch..

Had to back up the registry from Registry Editor..

Otherwise program worked, I think..

~graham
"Look into my eyes... Bargain Buddy is your friend..!"

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

> imaref wrote:
>
> > Found the solution to your problem. I had the same thing happen. Some
> > program or virus caused your winsock settings to be changed. You can
> > fix this with the free program winsockfix at
> > http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html It gives you the option
> > of backing up the registry before doing the fix which I did but had no
> > problems. As soon as I restarted, I was able to turn the sp2 firewall
> > back on.
> Hi
>
> For WinXP SP2, this should also fix it:
>

> Start/Run --> cmd.exe
>
> and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:
>
> netsh.exe winsock reset
>
> and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

THANKS ALL!!!.... IT WORK.. I TRYED ALL OF THE SOLUTIONS AT ONCE... REBOOT,,
EVERYTHING FINE NOW.

"furball" wrote:

> Trying to back up the registry with Winsock and TCP Repair Utility,
> I get the following message..
>
> ______________________________
> Warning!
>
> X Error saving file
> C:\ERDNT\SECURITY !
>
> Continue with the next file?
>
> Yes No
> ______________________________
>
> Using WinXP SP2 with every latest patch..
>
> Had to back up the registry from Registry Editor..
>
> Otherwise program worked, I think..
>
> ~graham
> "Look into my eyes... Bargain Buddy is your friend..!"
>
> "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:
>
> > imaref wrote:
> >
> > > Found the solution to your problem. I had the same thing happen. Some
> > > program or virus caused your winsock settings to be changed. You can
> > > fix this with the free program winsockfix at
> > > http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html It gives you the option
> > > of backing up the registry before doing the fix which I did but had no
> > > problems. As soon as I restarted, I was able to turn the sp2 firewall
> > > back on.
> > Hi
> >
> > For WinXP SP2, this should also fix it:
> >

> > Start/Run --> cmd.exe
> >
> > and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:
> >
> > netsh.exe winsock reset
> >
> > and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.
> >

> > --
> > torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
> > Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
> > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx

TRENDING THREADS