Windows freezes after failed gpu driver update

Aug 7, 2018
Let me start by saying I got a new graphics card the other day because I thought my current one wasn't working properly.
The old card is a sapphire hd7800 series.
I haven't used this computer for games at all and decided to start playing a couple games, and starting messing with settings and overclocking. During the process, I realized my gpu fans were not spinning. So I thought the card was faulty and went and picked up a xfx rx550 from best buy.
So I get the rx550 installed and the fans still aren't working. So I was able to try a different pci slot and that did the trick.
Updated all the drivers for the rx550 did some overclocking and was playing at 1080/60 on like medium settings. All is good.
So I decide to try and put the 7800 back in since it was the pci port that was bad. So I get it in and am redoing the drivers for it and everything froze up and since then when I boot windows it freezes on the windows logo or will proceed to a black screen and nothing else ever happens.
I can boot with the igpu or with in safe mode. So I put the rx550 back in and it still won't work.

I've completely deinstslled old drivers with and removal tool as well as ddu. I've installed new drivers again and no luck.
I've tried booting with no drivers installed.
I've tried disabling secure boot.
I've changed the enable ulps to zeroes.
I've tried a reset windows which failed and reverted back due to not being able to boot afterwards due to the graphics card.

I've tried literally everything I could think of and what I've read online.
What am I doing wrong?
I don't understand how it was working fine then all of a sudden it never wants to work ever again even with a fresh driver install.

Aug 7, 2018
Yes I removed them all from safe mode. I then installed new ones in safe mode.

I also tried removing old drivers on safe mode and then booting normally with the igpu and installing the new drivers and then switching back to the rx550.

After removing all drivers in safe mode, then booting normally, Windows will install the basic Windows drivers and give you minimal functionality for whatever GPU(discrete or integrated) it finds installed. At this point, You should be able to download and install the manufacturer's drivers for whatever discrete GPU you have installed, and you should be good to go. If this is not the case, you may have other issues, ranging from corrupted drivers to hardware issues with either your discrete GPU or your motherboard.

Before changing anything hardware, I would consider a COMPLETE wipe and clean install of Windows(and all drivers, of course). If you still have the same issues, then we are back to a hardware issue. Since you said that one of your PCI/e slots is no longer functional, and you have a new GPU, my best guess(key word - guess) would be that your motherboard is starting to fail, and is a candidate for replacement. You have to decide if you want to just replace your MB, or if it is time for a complete new build.

Aug 7, 2018
I've done exactly as stated above as far as installing drivers.

I was kind of thinking possibly it's motherboard related, but the thing is I've never once had a single problem ever until Sunday with the driver update.

I don't know if there's anywsys to tell if it's the board or not? But if it is the board it's a while new build that I don't have money for lol.

And speaking of I forgot to mention what I had.
It's an asus maximus gene iv
Intel i5 3570k
Ozc vertex 4 ssd
16gb vengeance ddr3
I believe 500w or 600w psu.

Built in 2013 so getting a little old but still performs fantastic up until now with this graphics card issue.

But if I have to replace anything I'm starting a new build with an asus rog strix z370 board

I notice that you have an OCZ Vertex SSD. My first SSD was an OCZ Vertex, and I had it replaced twice due to failure. Now I don't remember the exact model of Vertex, but I haven't trusted them since. It would freeze, because it was trying to load something, but couldn't find it, because it was in a section of the SSD that couldn't be read. Is there any way you could remove the ssd and either install a new SSD or put Windows on your HDD, to test the rest of your system?

Aug 7, 2018
I got good news and bad/good news.

Good news is I think I found the problem. Was able to swap in another drive with windows 10 and it froze up on their too. So that means my windows is not corrupt. So some how I guess my pci ports are done for. I dony know why all of a sudden they quit working.

Bad/good news
I get to start building a new system but will take a long time and will cost over $1000 for what I want.

One final thing I will try and get back to y'all with is clearing the cmos on my motherboard. That's my final hope.

Aug 7, 2018
So clearing cmos did not work, and I also cleaned everything out with compressed air to make sure there wasn't anything in the slot.

So my conclusion is that pci slot two was already not functioning properly, and then between switching everything around I'm guessing I may not have seated something all the way or something and screwed the other pci slot.

So looks like I'll start a new build soon.

TRENDING THREADS