Windows Freezes at Startup Selection

dwashy

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
I've had a computer for quite some time now (almost nearing 4 years) and it has worked fairly well up to this point. However, currently there were two issues that hit at the same time. First, the computers display went insane showing random flashing colors that looked like hyroglyphics. Aliens trying to communicate with me? Maybe, but I doubt it since the problem dissapears when I unplug the PCI video card and run it off the motherboard onboard video.

So, I took the video card out and the computer is now just running off onboard video. But, when I boot it up, it goes through post and everything until it hits the friendly windows screen saying "Start Windows in Safe Mode, Start Windows Normally, Safe Mode with Networking" etc...

No matter which selection I choose (safe mode, normal, safe mode with networking) the computer will freeze instantly. No CTRL-ALT Delete restarts, no button pressing, nothing. It just sits there. I've tried putting in my Windows XP re-install CD, but it just hangs and then returns me to this same black screen asking me to start normally or safe mode.

I've tried a myriad of things, re-installing (as stated above, I cant' reinstall), Ive tried switching out ribbon cables, ive tried disabling the secondary HD (no OS on it).

I'm stumped. Im hoping its not the primary HD going bad, but I have to imagine it probably is. The primary HD is quite a bit older than the computer itself (took it out of a 6-7 year old Emachines...bad idea using that as my primary).

Just wondering if anyone can confirm or deny this, thanks.

dwashy

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
I haven't had the chance to reinstall anything so far. I just unplugged the card, and the computer is running without any graphical glitches. If I could get past the start windows normally screen, I might be able to reinstall the card and see whats wrong. But at the moment I cant even get into windows

seroga07

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Sometimes what happens when you pull out the peripheral card from the PCI or AGP slot, your motherboard in the bios still lists the video card as the primary display to work from. I would suggest checking you bios on boot for primary display and change it to "onboard". If that doesnt work try resetting bios to default settings.

What are your system specs?