[SOLVED] Windows freezes for a second, goes to black, and refreshes?

May 24, 2019
I have this odd issue only with this computer I sort of threw together where Windows 10 acts up. Windows will freeze for a second or 2, the monitor will go black, and it will come back after a couple seconds. It causes some apps to refresh. For example, I noticed programs such as the Epic Games launcher, Borderlands 3, and f.lux would crash and, except for Borderlands 3, reopen. Programs like Chrome and Task Manager stay open. It seems to happen at random. It can happen when gaming, full on benchmarking, or just sitting at the desktop or browsing the web on Chrome. I've updated the BIOS, which has helped with some programs crashing, and made sure I have the latest GPU drivers. The issue still persists sometimes though. The issue did not present itself until recently. I used the machine a little bit with a USB WiFi adapter beforehand, left it sitting for a month, came back and changed to a wired connection. Those are the only differences between now and then. Any ideas?

Specs if necessary: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/w8TJvn

Solution
Do you have access to an extra PSU ?
This is the single most common cause to glitches that causes blackouts or reboots in Windows.
Check every pwr connection and cables for any signs of overheating.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
This is the single most common cause to glitches that causes blackouts or reboots in Windows.

Solution
May 24, 2019
I do, but it doesn't have a PCIe connector. The weird thing is I've ran high power consumption programs for a good bit and it's been fine, but it has also blipped out doing low power things as well. I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic to check the RAM, all is well there. Hmm

May 24, 2019
Ask around.
Spare PSU's on the shelves are very common.
I really believe its your problem, until it is tested negative.
You might've been right about the power problem... Like I said I moved this PC recently, and had it plugged into an old power strip. Plugged it into the wall and about 20-30 minutes now no windows bugs. This is the longest amount of time it's gone without doing this. Borderlands 3 is still crashing a LOT, but that might be unrelated Even though it's old and less taxing, CoD WaW ran fine for a while.