[SOLVED] Windows freezes while gaming

PRusov

Prominent
Mar 31, 2020
Yeah, so, sometimes when i open or play a game, the whole system freezes. Even Alt+Ctrl+Del doesn't work. Happened in COD warzone and Rocket league, for some reason. Defender found no viruses, and i just updated windows (not sure if that fixed it, i still haven't opened any games since then). Drivers are up to date. Command prompt gave me this, after i tried to run a scannow:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.752]
(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc / scannow

Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Checker Version 6.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Scans the integrity of all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with
correct Microsoft versions.

SFC [/SCANNOW] [/VERIFYONLY] [/SCANFILE=<file>] [/VERIFYFILE=<file>]
[/OFFWINDIR=<offline windows directory> /OFFBOOTDIR=<offline boot directory> [/OFFLOGFILE=<log file path>]]

/SCANNOW Scans integrity of all protected system files and repairs files with
problems when possible.
/VERIFYONLY Scans integrity of all protected system files. No repair operation is
performed.
/SCANFILE Scans integrity of the referenced file, repairs file if problems are
identified. Specify full path <file>
/VERIFYFILE Verifies the integrity of the file with full path <file>. No repair
operation is performed.
/OFFBOOTDIR For offline repair, specify the location of the offline boot directory
/OFFWINDIR For offline repair, specify the location of the offline windows directory
/OFFLOGFILE For offline repair, optionally enable logging by specifying a log file path

e.g.

sfc /SCANNOW
sfc /VERIFYFILE=c:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll
sfc /SCANFILE=d:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll /OFFBOOTDIR=d:\ /OFFWINDIR=d:\windows
sfc /SCANFILE=d:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll /OFFBOOTDIR=d:\ /OFFWINDIR=d:\windows /OFFLOGFILE=c:\log.txt
sfc /VERIFYONLY

C:\Windows\system32>

I dind't get a % counter, nor did it start, it just gave me this message. What does it mean? Please help.

My PC specs: RX 5700XT, Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb 3000mhz.

Solution
Yeah, so, sometimes when i open or play a game, the whole system freezes. Even Alt+Ctrl+Del doesn't work. Happened in COD warzone and Rocket league, for some reason. Defender found no viruses, and i just updated windows (not sure if that fixed it, i still haven't opened any games since then). Drivers are up to date. Command prompt gave me this, after i tried to run a scannow:

Scans the integrity of all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with
correct Microsoft versions...

PRusov

Prominent
Mar 31, 2020
full system spec? include make and model of the psu

latest bios/chipset driver?
Full specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
XFX Radeon RX 5700XT
TUF B450-Plus Gaming
Hyper X 3200mhz ddr4 ram (i have it set on 3000mhz, 3200 gives me bsod while on xmp profile 1)
intel 660p m.2 nvme ssd
Thermaltake Smart RGB 700w psu

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1804, 7/29/2019
Not sure is this is what you were looking for. Sorry.

correct Microsoft versions.

SFC [/SCANNOW] [/VERIFYONLY] [/SCANFILE=<file>] [/VERIFYFILE=<file>]
[/OFFWINDIR=<offline windows directory> /OFFBOOTDIR=<offline boot directory> [/OFFLOGFILE=<log file path>]]

/SCANNOW Scans integrity of all protected system files and repairs files with
problems when possible.
/VERIFYONLY Scans integrity of all protected system files. No repair operation is
performed.
/SCANFILE Scans integrity of the referenced file, repairs file if problems are
identified. Specify full path <file>
/VERIFYFILE Verifies the integrity of the file with full path <file>. No repair
operation is performed.
/OFFBOOTDIR For offline repair, specify the location of the offline boot directory
/OFFWINDIR For offline repair, specify the location of the offline windows directory
/OFFLOGFILE For offline repair, optionally enable logging by specifying a log file path

e.g.

sfc /SCANNOW
sfc /VERIFYFILE=c:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll
sfc /SCANFILE=d:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll /OFFBOOTDIR=d:\ /OFFWINDIR=d:\windows
sfc /SCANFILE=d:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll /OFFBOOTDIR=d:\ /OFFWINDIR=d:\windows /OFFLOGFILE=c:\log.txt
sfc /VERIFYONLY

C:\Windows\system32>

I dind't get a % counter, nor did it start, it just gave me this message. What does it mean? Please help.

My PC specs: RX 5700XT, Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb 3000mhz.
I think it may be because of the space you put in between the / and scannow.
Ok I just checked and it is because of the space try again without it

Reactions: PRusov
Solution

PRusov

Prominent
Mar 31, 2020
I think it may be because of the space you put in between the / and scannow.
Ok I just checked and it is because of the space try again without it
Jesus, i feel so stupid right now... yeah, now everything works...
Thank you, and sorry for panicking lol

Edit:

System file checker found some broken files and repaired them. I haven't played anything yet, but hopefully, the problem is now gone.

Reactions: Flayed