[SOLVED] Windows Freezing After Short Inactivity

roeihahnnoyman

Reputable
Oct 17, 2017
So im having this problem over a week now and I just cant find a solution for it.
The problem is that if im not using my pc for more than 15-20 min, it suddenly freezes and the only way to fix it is by hard resetting the pc using the power button. At first I thought it was a ram issue but I've tested both of my ram sticks and they seem to work completely fine alone and together on other systems.

I have a Ryzen based system (3600X on stock values), 16GB ram on 3200Mhz and an asus strix b450-f gaming board.

Im thinking its a windows issue, but that issue wasnt resolved after reinstalling, I use windows 10 Pro 64bit.
Ive also viewed some threads about this issue from other people, but none of them have found a solution that worked well..

If someone here knows how to fix this, thanks in advance! :)

Solution
This:

"The problem is that if im not using my pc for more than 15-20 min, it suddenly freezes and the only way to fix it is by hard resetting the pc using the power button."

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that you can trace back to occurring after 15-20 minutes of the pc's not being used.

Start with Reliability History: much more user friendly and the time line format may prove very helpful with respect to something that happened "over a week ago".

Event Viewer can be used in the same manner but is much more cumbersome.

Other things you can do:

Look in Update History for any updates failed or otherwise that happened "over a week ago".

Look in Task Manager >...

roeihahnnoyman

Reputable
Oct 17, 2017
updated bios?
latest chipset drivers - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

what are full specs of pc, all parts.

what power plan are you using?
Hi, im using the latest BIOS and chipset drivers, my specs are 3600x, strix b450-f gaming, rtx strix 2080 super advanced, 16gb ram 8x2 corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200mhz, rog thor 850 80+ platinum power supply, sn750 250gb as a boot drive, adata swordfish 1tb as mass storage, x2 1tb wd hdd drives and a 500gb wd red nas ssd. The power plan I'm using is the balanced one, the same that windows recommends.

Hi, im using the latest BIOS and chipset drivers, my specs are 3600x, strix b450-f gaming, rtx strix 2080 super advanced, 16gb ram 8x2 corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200mhz, rog thor 850 80+ platinum power supply, sn750 250gb as a boot drive, adata swordfish 1tb as mass storage, x2 1tb wd hdd drives and a 500gb wd red nas ssd. The power plan I'm using is the balanced one, the same that windows recommends.
Go through the power plan options and where it shows turn off the device set it to some high number or never.

Are you running a nas?

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"The problem is that if im not using my pc for more than 15-20 min, it suddenly freezes and the only way to fix it is by hard resetting the pc using the power button."

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that you can trace back to occurring after 15-20 minutes of the pc's not being used.

Start with Reliability History: much more user friendly and the time line format may prove very helpful with respect to something that happened "over a week ago".

Event Viewer can be used in the same manner but is much more cumbersome.

Other things you can do:

Look in Update History for any updates failed or otherwise that happened "over a week ago".

Look in Task Manager > Startup: What you are looking for are what apps are being launched at start up and, in particular, any that you do not recognize. Google accordingly before doing anything.

Also look in Task Scheduler - Look for something that is being triggered after that 15- 20 minute time span.

I suspect some buggy app, utility, etc. that may be launching in an attempt to update, backup, or simply phone home.

If the computer is freezing and leaving the window(s) open run Task Manager or Resource Monitor. Leave PC unattended. May take a bit of experimentation/trial and error to get focus in on the relevant options but there may be some clue left behind showing what the system was doing or trying to do when the system froze.

Solution