[SOLVED] Windows freezing after tabbing out or playing a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarso

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
I am unsure if this is the correct forum for this but I have no idea if this is hardware or software.

I recently upgraded my computer (mostly visual changes). A new cooler, case, ram, and an m.2. I have had no issues with the system during general use (Web browsing, discord, college work, etc) but after playing a game for some time or tabbing out of certain games (Rainbow 6 Seige I can recreate the issue easily but I have also done it with ArmA 3 and others). To recreate it all I need to do is open a game (R6, ArmA are the ones I've tried) and once they are at their main menus I tab out and wait somewhere between 10 and 30 minutes. The system will then freeze like below. It doesn't have to be tabbed out tho, it randomly does the same thing when I am playing those games as well.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtuaafJBd7I&feature=youtu.be

I took this video to show my friends what my issue was. As you can see the system sort of freezes and doesn't allow me to perform any tasks other than switching between a few separate applications. Everything in Task Manager is frozen and not moving. I have removed any and all overclocks and tried 2 separate GPUs after a friend suggested that could be the issue. I've done 2 clean installs of windows and checked drivers to no avail.

My specs:

CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4Ghz (Currently back at base 3.6 as I removed it)

Cooler
Corsair H100i

RAM
Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB @ 3600Mhz (I am not currently running the xmp profile to allow for this speed so windows is currently showing 2133mhz, this was part of my attempt to solve the issue)

Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VI Hero

Graphics Card
Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 ti (Asus Strix) (I also tried an MSI 970 I had spare)

Storage
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Nvme (M.2) (Windows 10 is installed here)
Samsung 850 Pro 2TB SATA (Most games are installed here but Rainbow has the issue installed here or on the m.2)

Any help would be appreciated, I am lost.

Solution
I appear to have found the issue. NZXT Cam appears to cause the system to freeze. I had a friend install NZXT Cam as I was showing him the mini overlay, which I thought was cool and useful. He began to have the same issues as me and after we disabled NZXT Cam the issue has gone away. I've found a few threads talking about these Cam issues around the internet and I am probably going to use Corsair for my RGB etc in the future. Smart Device 2 is an overpriced circuit board anyway.
So you reinstalled Windows on that M.2 and you installed the chipset and GPU drivers?

You did all your windows update?

What version of Windows 10 did you install?

What BIOS version are you running?

That RAM won't be able to run at 3600MHz with a 1800X CPU.

Put RAM in Slot A2-B2 and turn XMP to 2666MHz to test. Try different speed. 2400MHz, 2666MHz, 2933MHz, 3200MHz until one stays.

scarso

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
So you reinstalled Windows on that M.2 and you installed the chipset and GPU drivers?

You did all your windows update?

What version of Windows 10 did you install?

What BIOS version are you running?

That RAM won't be able to run at 3600MHz with a 1800X CPU.

Put RAM in Slot A2-B2 and turn XMP to 2666MHz to test. Try different speeds. 2400MHz, 2666MHz, 2933MHz, 3200MHz until one stays.
Yes, I reinstalled Windows on the M.2 and I used driver easy to install and update most of my drivers with GeForce Experience for the GPU.
Windows is fully updated to date according to the settings (Last checked today).

Windows Specifications:
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎30/‎11/‎2020
OS build 19042.685
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

BIOS is the latest version 7901 according to https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-vi-hero-model/helpdesk_download/

I am able to use the system with the ram speed at 3200mhz fine. That doesn't appear to fix or change the issue I am having, I just removed the overclocks from everything to see if that'd make a difference (It didn't). I didn't try changing the DIMM slots though as I didn't see why that'd cause this issue. I tried this but was able to cause my computer to freeze in the exact way the video shows by launching Rainbow 6 Seige to the main menu and tabbing out. It froze about 10 minutes later.

scarso

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
I appear to have found the issue. NZXT Cam appears to cause the system to freeze. I had a friend install NZXT Cam as I was showing him the mini overlay, which I thought was cool and useful. He began to have the same issues as me and after we disabled NZXT Cam the issue has gone away. I've found a few threads talking about these Cam issues around the internet and I am probably going to use Corsair for my RGB etc in the future. Smart Device 2 is an overpriced circuit board anyway.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.