Question Windows freezing/not loading inputs after hardware upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
Hello,

So over the holidays I just upgraded my 5 year old i5 6600 to a new Ryzen 7 3700x and got an MSI B550 Tomahawk motherboard to match the chip.

same GPU (GTX 1070 FTW)
same 1tb hdd and 500gb sata 3 ssd
same ram (g-skill f4-2800c17d-16gis. Its cheap and currently not on my motherboard QVL
same psu (Corsair 750 watt gold rated)

Ive been having weird windows issues after the new hardware came in. Here are 2 quick YouTube clips I made as proof.
Windows buggin proof 1
Windows buggin proof 2

Anyway, trouble shooting as follows:
  1. half, then full windows reinstall current widows version is 19042
  2. bios update
  3. amd chipset driver update
  4. memory test (healthy) using memtest.86 and windows memory diagnostic
  5. drive test (healthy) (had a technician test the drives)
  6. power plan adjustment from ryzen balanced to windows balanced
  7. no thermal issues
  8. limited ram speeds to 2400mhz in bios
  9. single channel ram
  10. never had any crashes, or failed posts (although had a boot loop when first booting the system)
At this point Ive ordered new RAM sticks that are on the QVL list, but im not positive that that will not solve the issue.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Hello,

So over the holidays I just upgraded my 5 year old i5 6600 to a new Ryzen 7 3700x and got an MSI B550 Tomahawk motherboard to match the chip.

same GPU (GTX 1070 FTW)
same 1tb hdd and 500gb sata 3 ssd
same ram (g-skill f4-2800c17d-16gis. Its cheap and currently not on my motherboard QVL
same psu (Corsair 750 watt gold rated)

Ive been having weird windows issues after the new hardware came in. Here are 2 quick YouTube clips I made as proof.
Windows buggin proof 1
Windows buggin proof 2

Anyway, trouble shooting as follows:
  1. half, then full windows reinstall current widows version is 19042
  2. bios update
  3. amd chipset driver update
  4. memory test (healthy) using memtest.86 and windows memory diagnostic
  5. drive test (healthy) (had a technician test the drives)
  6. power plan adjustment from ryzen balanced to windows balanced
  7. no thermal issues
  8. limited ram speeds to 2400mhz in bios
  9. single channel ram
  10. never had any crashes, or failed posts (although had a boot loop when first booting the system)
At this point Ive ordered new RAM sticks that are on the QVL list, but im not positive that that will not solve the issue.

Any help is appreciated.

What exactly is the issues? Mouse does not click? Or does it stop working after some time? What does the system do and when?

Try with one RAM stick at a time? Did you install drivers from the motherboard support site directly or use some 3rd party utility?

When you did a clean Windows setup did you wipe the boot drive fully and make a new partition? If not, do that. Disconnect the secondary drive when doing that.

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
What exactly is the issues? Mouse does not click? Or does it stop working after some time? What does the system do and when?

Try with one RAM stick at a time? Did you install drivers from the motherboard support site directly or use some 3rd party utility?

When you did a clean Windows setup did you wipe the boot drive fully and make a new partition? If not, do that. Disconnect the secondary drive when doing that.
Those 2 videos show what happens when my computer acts up. This means it works fine until it randomly doesn't (can happen on idle or load)

So the issues can be variable. I get these freezes randomly and each freeze is different.
  • A freeze can be a system lock up where I cant do anything for like 10 seconds (except move mouse).
  • Another could be like the videos show where I can move my mouse and the "animations" of opening/pausing tasks happen but dont actually put.
  • Another could be Spotify audio would stop, but the track timer continues then after 10+ seconds it would go back to the time stamp where the audio cut out and continue.
-Another would be one chrome tab would lock up but I am still able tab into other chrome tabs or other tasks. Sometimes I click to close, confirm, or open a task (like excel) and I get the "(not responding)" until it clears up.

Point is, it can either fully freeze or like... weirdly lag or something.
Side note: While this happens I notice wifi/ethernet completely stop working too

Chipset drivers came from AMD
BIOS came from motherboard manufacture
Tried Single channel RAM, also ran with "tester ram" limited at 2400mhz from a technician. Also ran a memtest on my ram which passed fine. Task manager says ram speed are at 2800mhz (a-xmp profile 1 enabled in bios).

SSD was tested and healthy (by technician), was completely wiped and then later reinstalled windows.

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
I want to let you know that I have read Tom's Hardware windows instillation guide. Just had some extra questions.

About a month ago I did a serious hardware change, went from intel to amd and got a new motherboard. After the hardware swap, I booted my pc and everything works.

Windows is on my ssd, Its about 5 years old, and I have a physical product key that activated it originally.

Ive been having some freezing/compatibility issues with windows, a few weeks ago I had a technician reinstall windows for me (using my product key) but its still happening. According to the current activation settings: "windows 10 is activated with a digital license"

I plan to completely reinstall windows again tomorrow morning myself before replacing parts. Ive have created my media USB device, and I was going to just install windows fully. Tom's guide wasn't completely clear if I can just go ahead and do that and re-use my product key as the guide really focuses on getting a Microsoft account and signing in after the fresh install.

Ill be honest I dont necessary want a Microsoft account unless i absolutely need it but ive heard it removes the license from your hardware and attaches it with the account. I find it kind of weird/confusing because i literally swapped the guts of my build and booted with no problem.

I also want a confirmation if reinstalling windows removes all possible traces of former data on the SSD. It probably does, I just want this SSD to be like its brand new because Ive exhausted my troubleshooting with trying to fix the bug issues.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Ive have created my media USB device, and I was going to just install windows fully. Tom's guide wasn't completely clear if I can just go ahead and do that and re-use my product key as the guide really focuses on getting a Microsoft account and signing in after the fresh install.

which guide did you use?
this one? : https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

you don't use key if its been installed on ssd before on same motherboard, when you get to stage in the install where it asks for a key, just click "I don't have a key" and install will continue and reactivate itself once it contacts activation servers.

I also want a confirmation if reinstalling windows removes all possible traces of former data on the SSD. It probably does, I just want this SSD to be like its brand new because Ive exhausted my troubleshooting with trying to fix the bug issues.
yes, a clean install as per link above removes all trace of windows off the boot drive.

what parts are you replacing?

note: after posting i realised I have helped you already before...

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
which guide did you use?
this one? : https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

you don't use key if its been installed on ssd before on same motherboard, when you get to stage in the install where it asks for a key, just click "I don't have a key" and install will continue and reactivate itself once it contacts activation servers.

yes, a clean install as per link above removes all trace of windows off the boot drive.

what parts are you replacing?

note: after posting i realised I have helped you already before...
I used the guide that you have sent when you helped me before, The completely install guide.

I guess I can just go ahead then and give it a shot and reinstall. This SSD has gone through 2 full installs and 1 keep files install, and in the next hours it will be its fourth configuration when I do it.

I know you've helped me before, and Ive been quite active with asking for help for the past month. Have you seen anything like this before? I.e. The videos I made about windows being unresponsive, the explanations even after all the chipset and bios troubleshooting, even the replacing of RAM.

Colif

Win 11 Master
According to crystal dysk, my SSD that carries windows is healthy, my HDD is on caution. But as far as I know, cautions arent cause for immediate concern, especially shouldn't be a concern because its not carrying windows. What on earth is the problem with my computer?

try running without hdd?

The fact its got a caution could be enough to cause the problem you are seeing.

You should only have the boot ssd attached when you install

i know you said technician tested them himself but I just want a 2nd opinion. What make/model are the drives?

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
try running without hdd?

The fact its got a caution could be enough to cause the problem you are seeing.

You should only have the boot ssd attached when you install

i know you said technician tested them himself but I just want a 2nd opinion. What make/model are the drives?
ssd: muskin triactor 480gb

hdd: wd blue 1tb

New HDD: Seagate 2tb

Um... So i purchased a new hdd today, unplugged my pc, held the power button to drain power and I plugged in my new hdd.

I was hoping to quickly transfer data from old hdd to new but i turned on my PC and everything turned on for a sec and turned off. Im guessing I shorted it. So i unplugged, held power for 40 seconds and unplugged the new hdd and tried again. Same issue. I tried again with just the ssd carrying windows, same issue. In fact now I don’t even get a slight boot up/led light.

Not going to lie, ssd smells kinda burnt, thats actually tough..... Saveable? also that has windows on it.

the other hard drives aren’t burnt.

PC also won’t boot (no response at all with power button) with all 3 drives taken out.

Aside from the power flushing I’ve done, anything I can do? Currently no drives are in the system.

is it possible to short a system when adding an additional drive? If I’m honest the drives could have been in contact with the case metal, also I removed the ssd and hdd to clean some dust and then added all 3 back. I don’t think I shocked my system, but I was definitely applying lots of force/wiggling to pull out my original hdd as it was stuck tight.

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
i would take pc to a store and see what they say. I don't know what cause of that is.
Got it to a technician, just to settle curiosity for future readers.

I removed my ssd and hdd to clean the trays bay before putting the new hhd, and older 2 drives back before the short. Anyways, after the initial boot, my ssd i guessed fried itself and two sata pins fell off and was stuck inside the sata power cable. The PC wouldnt boot even with the drives disconnected, but it would boot with the cable removed from my modular PSU. So that narrowed the focus to the cable and thats when we saw the metal. Got a tweezer and pulled it out, PC booted. Tested all the drives, even with the fried ssd thats missing pins and smells burnt still works lol

Its scuffed so Im moving to a wd sn750 nvme. Hoping it resolves my freezing issues as well. Im kind of thinking maybe its a sata driver with windows causing the issues, so hopefully I can bypass entirely with the nvme.

Will update soon If i still freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.