May 21, 2019
I'm working on a PC and I'm kind of stumped at this point as to whats going on. My guess is either CPU or Motherboard but I'm seeking ways to diagnose or narrow down the problem as I don't have replacements.

When I first started working on it I thought it would need a Windows reinstall. Windows keeps crashing at startup when the little dots are spinning. I tried booting from a installation USB but it does the same thing. I checked the drive externally and the windows installation is fine. I updated the BIOS all the way and still the same thing. So far I have reset the BIOS to factory, updated it, tried known working RAM, used a known working power supply, tried multiple configurations and checked cable connections.

Ryzen 7 CPU
RTX 2070
16GB Crosair 3000mhz
500GB Samsung SSD
X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING MOBO
Cooler Master MWE 750W Power Supply

Also I just remembered the LED's on the MOBO for VGA BOOT CPU and DRAM. The DRAM light is constantly on and every second or so the CPU light with flash.

Last edited:
Solution
Read the MOBO's User Guide/Manual to learn what the flashing LED's may be indicating.

Noted that you checked the cable connections.

However, power down, unplug, and go back inside the case to check that all components are fully and firmly seated in place. Touch and feel - rock into place as necessary.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

Ralston18

Titan
Read the MOBO's User Guide/Manual to learn what the flashing LED's may be indicating.

However, power down, unplug, and go back inside the case to check that all components are fully and firmly seated in place. Touch and feel - rock into place as necessary.

Solution
May 21, 2019

"The status LEDs show whether the CPU, memory, graphics card, and operating system are working properly after system power-on. If the CPU/DRAM/VGA LED is on, that means the corresponding device is not working normally; if the BOOT LED is on, that means you haven't entered the operating system yet. " is what the documentation says about the LED's. From that I'm going to assume the CPU is not functioning properly. RAM is fine, tested with known working modules.

I double checked all of the connections and they're good. Something that might be worth noting is that this was a working PC beforehand and had this issue occasionally and now it's all the time. Nothing was changed, something failed.

As for safe mode I can't even get close to it. After post it loads windows for around 3 seconds before it freezes. I've tried a few times and it does not go that far.