Windows Freezing then shutting down.

3409west

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017
After building my PC about a 3 months ago, BIOS started freezing after a week, but Windows would work normally. I brushed this aside because I was able to overclock and save it before it happened. Now, about two weeks ago, I accidentally downloaded some Nvidia drivers that basically screwed up my PC right after installation (at least I assume that was the case). I couldn't get into Windows 10 anymore and couldn't do anything. I then did a system restore, like a r e e e and when it happened, the screen froze. I also performed some other tests like memtest 86+ and came out with nothing, as well as using command prompt. Reinstalling Windows didn't do anything at all. I assume that this problem applies to either memory or motherboard because of BIOS freezing. I also took my PC for a diagnosis and they were favorable about it being motherboard. I'm hoping that I can find a solution for this as this is getting me pretty worried about replacing more and more parts.

Parts for PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ttrf29

Solution

Do you have a question in there? To my way of seeing it you are trying to do too many things all at once so there's just way to many possible problem areas. I think you should reset your CMOS to completely remove all customizations and overclock attempt settings. Then go troubleshoot your Windows installation because it sounds like it's corrupted by a combination of unstable overclocking and the resultant failed driver installation.

If you still can't get Windows to operate stable, or can't get it to boot at all, then a complete re-install of Windows is in order again.

BTW: what do you mean by 'BIOS started freezing'?

Solution