Question Windows Freezing Unexpectedly?

Mar 29, 2021
So i have had this pc for around a year now and as of 3 days ago i have experienced my pc freezing randomly. This isnt the normal freezing i am used to seeing. I can still move my mouse and open system applications to a certain extent (the system apps dont work). Wallpaper engine just freezes, I am unable to close anything, I try to shut down but it just hangs and doesnt do anything, the only way i can describe my problem is by showing the problem itself so here is the video of the problem
https://youtube.com/shorts/e-Y7PLFbWWg
I have no idea what the cause is and after using eventviewer i can only see issues were due to me force restarting my pc. I have updated windows and updated drivers.

PC Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600 4.1 GHZ
16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200
Kingston SSD A400 Solid State Drive 240 GB
Crucial BX500 120 GB
Western Digital 240 GB M.2 SSD
Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM HDD
Palit GeForce RTX 2070
Asrock B450 Steel Legend
Cooler Master MWE White V2 600W

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
You will think I am crazy to say this.

I had a very similar issue ongoing with my work PC. It turned out that the chosen desktop Theme and more specifically the period in which it was changing the desktop background caused my computer to go unresponsive. I changed to a static background and the issue resolved. An update or two later and it hasn't done it again.

I have no idea why.

Sep 3, 2020
I've made similar topic some time ago, and still didnt figure out what it is. Problem should be with some drivers or apps. Try to take a look at task manager by using Control + Alt + Escape and see usage on everything you have. I've found so far that sometimes you can close some apps (such as browers) that using GPU or CPU, and after that task manager shows a 100% jump for almost everything except RAM at the time of freeze, so somthing is tanking almost entire system for 1 sec. I also changed everything in my setup (literally every piece of hardware), even monitors and PC case (except USB devices) and problem is still kickin. Few windows reinstallations helped me and i wasnt having this for month, but then it has come again. And i guess 2 monitor setup have something to do with it.
Here's video, its exactly the same -
View: https://youtu.be/CayzvCNReBI

PC right now, but that doesnt really matter:

MOBO - MSI X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI
CPU - Ryzen 5800X
CPU Cooler - Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4
GPU - Palit Gaming Pro 3070
RAM - GoodRAM 3600 32GB
SSD - ADATA XPG SX8200 1TB x2
PSU - Corsair RMx850

Mar 29, 2021

I had a very similar issue ongoing with my work PC. It turned out that the chosen desktop Theme and more specifically the period in which it was changing the desktop background caused my computer to go unresponsive. I changed to a static background and the issue resolved. An update or two later and it hasn't done it again.

I have no idea why.
Ok im gave this a go and changed the theme and using stock windows backgrounds and right now i have had no issues for now. Hopefully it doesnt come back because this is really hindering my work.

Reactions: punkncat
Mar 29, 2021
I've made similar topic some time ago, and still didnt figure out what it is. Problem should be with some drivers or apps. Try to take a look at task manager by using Control + Alt + Escape and see usage on everything you have. I've found so far that sometimes you can close some apps (such as browers) that using GPU or CPU, and after that task manager shows a 100% jump for almost everything except RAM at the time of freeze, so somthing is tanking almost entire system for 1 sec. I also changed everything in my setup (literally every piece of hardware), even monitors and PC case (except USB devices) and problem is still kickin. Few windows reinstallations helped me and i wasnt having this for month, but then it has come again. And i guess 2 monitor setup have something to do with it.
Here's video, its exactly the same -
View: https://youtu.be/CayzvCNReBI

PC right now, but that doesnt really matter:

MOBO - MSI X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI
CPU - Ryzen 5800X
CPU Cooler - Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4
GPU - Palit Gaming Pro 3070
RAM - GoodRAM 3600 32GB
SSD - ADATA XPG SX8200 1TB x2
PSU - Corsair RMx850
Yes this is exactly my problem. That confirmed it with the settings not loading anything. I also feel like my specs have nothing to do with this since my drives are around 75% full and i feel like i dont really give my pc any trouble with my workload. Im gonna try not to keep tabs open and try keep as little running in the background as possible. As previously said i tried changing the theme and have also removed my webcam, mic, usb hub and vr headset from my pc and it has been working fine for now. Since you have said windows reinstallations didnt work, that might be my last option if it keeps happening.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Ok im gave this a go and changed the theme and using stock windows backgrounds and right now i have had no issues for now. Hopefully it doesnt come back because this is really hindering my work.

In my own case it started out with every time I would try to rename a file it would "jump" back out of it like I was never editing. Then it moved further along where all my Windows/MS related programs would freeze up and not respond. The last thing to go would be Google Chrome.

D

Deleted member 2871437

Yes this is exactly my problem. That confirmed it with the settings not loading anything. I also feel like my specs have nothing to do with this since my drives are around 75% full and i feel like i dont really give my pc any trouble with my workload. Im gonna try not to keep tabs open and try keep as little running in the background as possible. As previously said i tried changing the theme and have also removed my webcam, mic, usb hub and vr headset from my pc and it has been working fine for now. Since you have said windows reinstallations didnt work, that might be my last option if it keeps happening.
If your SSD is around 75% full it would commonly be recommended that you get some extra storage and free up space or the performance of that drive will suffer.

Sep 3, 2020
Since you have said windows reinstallations didnt work, that might be my last option if it keeps happening.
It does help, but im not sure exactly how. Once it dissapeared for month, and another time i didnt have it for 1-2 weeks and it came back again, nothing has change in setup or programms during that time, they returned almost out of nowhere.

I have no idea why.
Sadly in my case my background is static by default.