djfsolo

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Alright this is really starting to piss me off. I built my system back in January, so it's fairly new. It's been working GREAT, until about a week ago when it started freezing at random intervals (could be 15 minutes or 8 hours after boot).

I had this problem when I initially built the computer, but (I thought) it was because my ram wasn't properly set up in the bios. Once I had that set up stable and passing memtest/windows mem diagnostic in flying colors, the computer acted perfectly.

I was playing Crysis one afternoon, when suddenly out of nowhere, the screen goes gray and the computer completely freezes. No task manager, no nothing, 100% unresponsive. Reboot, everything's fine, when suddenly that blue screen popped up with all the jabber on it (no I'm not an experienced user) among which I remember "windows memory dump." Rebooted again, and ever since, the computer has started freezing at random intervals.

I checked the ram again, which appears to be 100% fine. I then suspected overheating, but this is in an Antec 1200 case. Tons of ventilation. The CPU cores are at 35-40c, GPU at 52c. As far as I am aware, this system is running cool.

Which led me, with my lack of experience, to blame Windows. I've now reinstalled windows and it still freezes... so naturally, I'm a little pissed as I went through the hassle of a reinstall.

Do you guys have ANY idea what could be causing the freezing? Possibly the GPU? I'm really not sure. Are there other tests I can run on my hardware? As I have now reinstalled windows, I have ruled out any system drivers/files being corrupted or something causing the issue, although I'm not sure if that is even possible.

Computer build is as follows:
Intel Q6600 2.4 ghz quad core processor
8gb G-skill DDR-800 ram
WD 500gb hd, WD 1tb hd
EVGA GTX-260 core 216 gpu
Antec 1200 case
Antec 1000W quattro power supply
Gigabyte EP45-UD3R motherboard

nothing is overclocked, the ram is actually set on slightly lower voltages to guarantee error-free performance.

thank you for any help

few ideas:

1. Try removing one stick of RAM. Some systems have issues when you fill all 4 slots. If this turns out to be the problem it might be fixed by adjusting RAM settings.

2. If you have another PSU laying about try running the system with it for a while - it is possible you could have a flaky PSU with intermittent performance

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
2 things

First a memory dump means that at one time at least you had a BSOD.
Do this
start|right click computer|properties|advanced system settings|advanced|strartup ahd recovery settings|uncheck the automatic restart box.
This will give you error message that you can write down to help solve any problems.

Second your memory should run at 2.0 \ 2.1 volts.
Your post states "the ram is actually set on slightly lower voltages to guarantee error-free performance."
Actually the exact opposite is true, turning it down will cause a great many errors such as the ones that you have.

Bingo! You want the RAM set TO mfg. spec and occasionally slightly higher - a drop of .2 v could cause occasional crashes, We see this a lot.