Question Windows goes into repair loop after removing and reinstalling secondary drives

JeffDeWitt

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
I did some upgrades (memory and graphics card) on my home office PC. Due to the unusual case (nMedia PC wood case) I had to remove the drive tray with all the secondary drives to get access to the motherboard.

After installing the new parts Windows started normally and everything seemed fine. Then I reinstalled the drive tray and reconnected the secondary drives. Upon rebooting Windows goes into the dreaded repair loop. If the drives are disconnected Windows starts normally.

Thinking maybe I'd swapped the SATA cables (which really shouldn't have made any difference), I swapped them back. Repair loop. One drive at a time, repair loop.

The drives are present in the BIOS and I can see them using the Command Prompt.

I'm copying all the data off those two drives so they can be reformatted and reinstalled, thinking Windows will be less confused if it sees them as new drives, but it seems like there should be a better way to fix this, and I can't be the only one who's had this odd problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!