Question Windows goes to black screen after 10 min use, unable to restart Windows, must install Windows again ?

emitex

Honorable
Jan 27, 2016
Hello,
I'm building a pc from the ground up. I got through installing Windows but then about after 10 min of use, Windows goes black and I am unable to restart Windows. The only way to get Windows working again is to install it again using USB. I have now done this 4 times already. When I do get the Windows running again, I can shut it down, restart it, whatever. But once the black screen happens, I have to install Windows again.

My rig:
i5-12600
Asus B660-PLUS D4
Kingston FURY 64GB 3200MHz
Seasonic GX-550 550W
Intel SSD6 M.2

Could this be RAM related since my RAM usage is only 5% after Windows installation is done ?
Also weird thing is that my system only recognizes the RAM as 2400MHz in BIOS and Windows, even though I tried to enable the XMP profile for 3200MHz ?

What video card if any?

What CPU cooler?

All components new and previously unused?

Do you have 2 sticks of 32 GB each?

5% of 64 gb is about 3 gb, which is about what I'd expect usage to be on a new install.

I'd leave the RAM at total defaults until I got this "goes black" issue straightened out. Maybe test the RAM overnight as a precaution.

How did you make or acquire the Windows USB installer?

emitex

Honorable
Jan 27, 2016
What video card if any?

What CPU cooler?

5% of 64 gb is about 3 gb, which is about what I'd expect usage to be on a new install.

I'd leave the RAM at total defaults until I got this "goes black" issue straightened out. Maybe test the RAM overnight as a precaution.

No video card. Just using cpu integrated graphics which seem to work fine until black screen. This pc is for work so only high RAM capacity was a necessity.

Stock cooler that came with cpu.

Yes all brand new.

I bought the official Windows 10 USB installer that comes with the serial code.

Maybe test the RAM overnight as a precaution.
what do you mean with this?

emitex

Honorable
Jan 27, 2016
What video card if any?

What CPU cooler?

Also yes 2 sticks of 32GB

Best memory tester as far as I know is memtest86. Google for the download.

Windows has a built in memory tester but it isn't as thorough.

I think you gotta run it from a USB stick. Maybe 10 plus passes. Might take overnight to complete.

Have you reset BIOS and all possible settings to defaults?

emitex

Honorable
Jan 27, 2016
Best memory tester as far as I know is memtest86. Google for the download.

Windows has a built in memory tester but it isn't as thorough.

I think you gotta run it from a USB stick. Maybe 10 plus passes. Might take overnight to complete.

Have you reset BIOS and all possible settings to defaults?
I guess I could try that.

I have reset BIOS and not changed anything in settings.

I just don't see how it could be RAM related since Windows won't boot again after black screen but has no problem booting if it's done by installing Windows again.

I just don't see how it could be RAM related since Windows won't boot again after black screen but has no problem booting if it's done by installing Windows again.

You bought the installer from Microsoft direct?

Entirely possibly it isn't RAM.

But if you have a valid installer and everything is at default, the implication is that it is a hardware issue.

CPUs are virtually never faulty.

Leaving motherboard, RAM, power supply, cooling, case, and connections as remaining components.

Difficult to troubleshoot motherboard without tools; it's mostly done by inference..."if it isn't the others, then I assume it is the motherboard".

I assume you don't have another used or new power supply sitting around you could swap in temporarily.

You could take it all out of the case and see how far you can get assembling it on a tabletop...using bare minimum pieces to start. Seeing at what point the "goes black" appears. Trial and error.

What make and model case is all of this equipment mounted in? How many fans are there and what size are they? Try this simple heat and ventilation test: manually set all of your fans to run at 100 percent maximum and see if this improves things. If yes you may need more fans in your case and/or you may need to adjust the bios or software that controls fan speeds to increase speeds as temperatures increase.

Hello,
I'm building a pc from the ground up. I got through installing Windows but then about after 10 min of use, Windows goes black and I am unable to restart Windows. The only way to get Windows working again is to install it again using USB. I have now done this 4 times already. When I do get the Windows running again, I can shut it down, restart it, whatever. But once the black screen happens, I have to install Windows again.

My rig:
i5-12600
Asus B660-PLUS D4
Kingston FURY 64GB 3200MHz
Seasonic GX-550 550W
Intel SSD6 M.2

Could this be RAM related since my RAM usage is only 5% after Windows installation is done ?
Also weird thing is that my system only recognizes the RAM as 2400MHz in BIOS and Windows, even though I tried to enable the XMP profile for 3200MHz ?
Boot to the bios and let it sit.
Does the screen go blank?

If not boot the windows installer and let it sit.
Does the screen go blank?

Reactions: Lafong