Windows goes to dark screen when trying to install on a fresh build.

brandontom

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I bought a new PC about 6 months ago and removed the SSD and all the disks and put them in my new PC. I bought a new SSD to try to revive my old one, however when i try to install windows the following process happens:
Boot up PC > bootable USB loads > Windows logo appears > Screen goes black
I'm using a bootable USB and the PC never had any issues when i was using it 6 months ago. I've tried a DVI and HDMI cable however the same thing happened. It's using a gtx 770 graphics card, I5 Processor (not sure on which version) and gigabyte motherboard. I can be more specific on the specs if it will help find a solution. I've also restored the bios to default settings.
Thanks for any help in advance.

Solution
You'd rule out a graphics card issue. Try disconnecting the power cables from the card (when pc unpowered) and connecting the monitor to the motherboard video port. Then start the installation process and see if still same issue.

brandontom

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

I have not, however i installed windows 7 with the same monitor and build with the gpu in several times, could you explain how this would work before i attempt to unplug the gpu as i don't trust myself with removing the entire gpu.

You'd rule out a graphics card issue. Try disconnecting the power cables from the card (when pc unpowered) and connecting the monitor to the motherboard video port. Then start the installation process and see if still same issue.

Solution

brandontom

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

Will give this a go shortly, will report back. Thanks for the suggestion!

brandontom

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

Worked a treat, thanks so much man!:D