[SOLVED] Windows "Hanging" - Changed (nearly) all parts and a fresh install of windows 10

RTC

Dec 29, 2020
Hey all, having an issue with my PC for about 6 months now.

After a random amount of time, usually 6+hours of being on, my pc will completely lock up. Meaning the mouse still works, keyboard works, SOME things will open but they will not open completely(Chrome "opens" to a completely white screen, etc). Windows for the most part is completely unresponsive, task manager doesn't update values, I can't end any processes, I can't open a file explorer.

Going to list out what I have done as of current...

Changed the mobo to Aorus x570 Elite Wifi
Changed the CPU to 5600x
Changed the ram to G.Skill 32gb 3200 (16x2) in slot 2,4 (Disabled and enabled XMP)
Swapped the GPU from my secondary computer (2070 and a 980)
Fresh install of Windows on a brand new m.2 SSD (previously a SATA SSD)
Ensured all drivers are updated.

For storage I have 1 m.2 SSD(Main), 1 SATA SSD and 1 HDD.

At this point I almost have a whole new computer besides the PSU (Thermaltake 700w Bronze) which I believe to be more than capable.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

RTC

Dec 29, 2020
Unplug all the drives but the OS and see what happens, if everything is ok then plug them in 1 at a time till the issue returns.
Unfortunately I tried that last night :( Unplugged all drives but the new M.2 and it still occurred.

After checking event viewer it seems to happen right as windows tries to download an automatic update. I've disabled downloading updates and I've also unplugged all unnecessary USB devices.

Well if you have changed everything else it only leaves the power supply
Yeah, I just didn't expect something like this to be cause by a power supply issue. I will try switching out the PSU if the above doesn't work, i do have an extra one.

Last edited: