Windows Has Detected Performance Is Slow (New Comp)

XwazzyX

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Summary:
3 months ago I built a custom gaming PC (see build below). Up until 3 days ago it ran flawlessly without performance issues. I was able to easily run games on ultra/high settings. Recently I have been noticing pretty intense lag when playing SC2 and WoW. Sometimes when closing out of these games I receive the message "Windows has detected performance is slow." It then prompts me to change my color scheme to Win7 basic.

Having read several forums on other people receiving the same error, it seems like this could be due to a number reasons. The most common being issues with the VRAM not being allocated correctly. I guess I am wondering why this started happening all of a sudden as well as what can be done to resolve the issue?

Computer Build:
Intel Core i5-3570K
MSI Z77A-G41 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
ASUS GeForce GTX 660 GTX660-DC2O-2GD5 Video Card
Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA 32MB Cache 3.5in Internal Hard Drive OEM
G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 Memory
COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case
CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W Power Supply
Acer Black 20" 5ms Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor

Additional Info:
This is probably coincidence, but my room mate bought a brand new gaming rig the day that I started to notice the performance issues. Our computers are setup in the same room. We thought that it may have to do with sharing the same outlet. I tried plugging in across the room and still experienced the lag. He doesn't experience any issues and is plugged into the same router as I am. Our internet speed is running at the same speed as before the problem arose.

I have barely downloaded anything to the computer. I use it for SC2 and streaming on the internet. We looked briefly into task manager to make sure that there weren't applications running at start-up that could bog down performance.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks!