Windows has noticed your performance is running slow? Nvidia 1070 Ti 8GB ram @ 1080p

Oscarmk

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
I recently upgraded my video card because my ATI HD 7850 died, I got a Nvidia 1070 TI 8GB Zotac Mini, and also decided to upgrade my HD to a SSD Samsung 860 Evo 512 GB. I currently have both Hard drives hooked up, I cloned the old hard drive into the 860 Evo using the Samsung Magician, and changed it to boot from my Samsung drive. This part is working correctly as my C: drive is now the samsung, and I can see a massive increase in how fast things load. The other drive now E:// still has Windows installed.

My Nvidia 1070 Ti also seems to be performing as expected as I have ran Heaven benchmark at max settings @1080 p and have been obtaining what seems like normal results ~2500 score. I have the latest Nvidia drivers.

Full systems specs:

Nvdia 1070 TI 8 GB Zotac mini
SSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB
i5 2500k @ stock 3.3 Ghz
16 GB Ram Corsair @ 1333 mhz
Asus Maximus IV Gene/z

Today after playing Diablo 3 for about 45 minutes and tabbing out I got the odd message "Windows has noticed your performance is running slow", something I had seen before when I had my HD 7850 and my normal spinning 7200 rpm Hard drive, but now with these upgrades it just doesn't make sense to me.

I ran TechPowerUp GPU-Z to make sure I wasn't running out of RAM, surprisingly Diablo 3 at max settings including Multisample 8X, is capable of getting peaks of 100% Load in the 1070 Ti, however ram is at 1.5 GB out of 8 GB, max temp was 55 C.

I am at lost as to how this Windows message is still appearing, could it be related to me cloning my old drive, or to the other copy of windows still being in the E drive?, even though its not booting from it?. Or is my system actually running out of memory somehow?.

Solution
ignore warning .. this is windows built in desktop vram warning.

to allow windows to render on your cpus graphics, windows reserves a very small amount of your ram (normally falls into 'system reserved' in your resource window). It is stipulated (becase gates refuses to tell anyone the truth) that this vram buffer is around 200mb and is used for desktop rendering. when you have a lot of clutter and background pitcture/livewallpapers, this 200mb can fill up fast. - especially now windows like to keep programs in a background active state to increase multi-tasking speed.

regardless of amount of RAM or gpu VRAM you have in your system, you will ALWAYS get this notification when this 'mystical' windows desktop vram limit is being...
Perhaps run the Windows 7 Experience Index benchmark, and see if it throws up anything obvious.

Also check your pagefile settings. Windows default settings might set really interesting amounts, given your 16GB of RAM. There's maybe a need for some tweaking there.

Oscarmk

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Thank you, the Windows experience benchmark gives me a 5.9 in hard disk, because I have 2 installation of windows, from what I've heard it scans both, next is 7.5 CPU i5 2500K 3.3 (although under load it goes to 3.7). and 7.9 for the other 2.

I looked at the page file settings, and it has 16284 MB - all of it, I think this is probably not right?. What would be a good value I am running Windows 7 64 Bits.

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
ignore warning .. this is windows built in desktop vram warning.

to allow windows to render on your cpus graphics, windows reserves a very small amount of your ram (normally falls into 'system reserved' in your resource window). It is stipulated (becase gates refuses to tell anyone the truth) that this vram buffer is around 200mb and is used for desktop rendering. when you have a lot of clutter and background pitcture/livewallpapers, this 200mb can fill up fast. - especially now windows like to keep programs in a background active state to increase multi-tasking speed.

regardless of amount of RAM or gpu VRAM you have in your system, you will ALWAYS get this notification when this 'mystical' windows desktop vram limit is being reached.

you can reduce the number of times you see this warning by: turning off smooth scrolling, transitions, windows borders, etc. you get the idea ... its windows private buffer cache to make windows look nice.

Solution
Regarding your pagefile, I would set the minimum to 1024MB and set no maximum, or if you really want to set a ceiling, maybe 2048MB or 4096MB. My own personal experience of pagefiles is that it's easier to be in the habit of saving your work, than trusting it to memory dumps if something goes wrong, so the odds of data lost are minimal anyway.