Windows having major issues

Feb 5, 2019
Hi people,

So I've recently overhauled my build, and used the parts to construct a new build for my friend. I'd used the exact system he is currently using for 6 months so I know the hardware works.

The problem begins when he took the build home to use. It worked fine for the first 2 weeks and then suddenly windows would not work. We tried reinstalling windows and it did the same thing in a similar time frame.

Thinking it could have been the hard drive gone bad, he got a new one, only to have the issue happen again. When trying to repair windows the computer doesn't even recognize that there is a copy of windows installed.

His computer shut down randomly and he saw the following screens:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/184AlTdnfoJO93e-50-Y13euG5H4JVj0U/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YZ_JxankAPKyxR-VCLDlAxujzytfG5wT/view?usp=sharing

intel i5 4670k

Asus Dual rx480

8gb gddr3 ram

Asus Z97-A board

Seagate 2tb hard drive

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
when you say you re-installed Windows, did you wipe the drive clean with the delete option during the custom install process or did you just do an install on top of the existing partition?

Because you can't do an install on top of an existing partition without running into some issues, you have to wipe the drive of all partitions to the point of having a single blank drive and install fresh.

Feb 5, 2019

I wiped the drive completely on the first and second installation and on the third attempt it was on a brand new hard drive. I would have thought the same thing, but this one has me stumped.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Hold up a minute, you say that the system actually worked for a bit?

This doesn't make any sense because you listed an i5-4670K which is 4th gen and LGA-1150 socket and the motherboard you listed is a Z170 which is LGA-1151 which is for 6th gen CPU's.

I'd say aside from the crazy fact that you say the system worked, that's the issue, you need to have Z87 or Z97 motherboard for that 4th gen i5, or you need to upgrade the CPU to a 6th gen Skylake CPU.

Feb 5, 2019

Oops, was thinking of my brothers build when I wrote that. Its an Asus Z97-A board, I should fix that haha

Feb 5, 2019

I got some new information and updated the post, hopefully that helps make the problem a little more clear.
Thank you for being patient with me