Windows HDD Clone

rickgrimes850

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
Hi, I am sort of in the dark here, I've looked this up and can't seem to find an answer. I want to clone my HDD from my laptop that has Windows 10 and put new the HDD into my desktop. If I clone the HDD, will I have two working copies of Windows 10 or will it deactivate the copy on my laptop HDD?

Solution
Hello rickgrimes850

What you're talking about can be done through Sysprep, a method that neutralizes computer-specific information such as device ID, product ID, product key, etc., dumps the raw copy of the installed Windows, and lets you clone it to be installed on other computers.

To answer your question about active copies, since even the product key is erased before Sysprep, the setup process on the other computer would prompt you provide a new one. Simply put, you are required to buy a new license key to use Windows on a different computer.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!! :)
Hello rickgrimes850

What you're talking about can be done through Sysprep, a method that neutralizes computer-specific information such as device ID, product ID, product key, etc., dumps the raw copy of the installed Windows, and lets you clone it to be installed on other computers.

To answer your question about active copies, since even the product key is erased before Sysprep, the setup process on the other computer would prompt you provide a new one. Simply put, you are required to buy a new license key to use Windows on a different computer.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!! :)

Solution