Windows help system not working!

This one has got me stumped and I would appreciate any advice I can get. Here
goes:

I'm IT support for my company and I'm starting to see a growing number of
systems that exhibit similar problems in that the user accesses the 'Help and
Support' and either nothing will happen or sometimes the windows frame will
appear but there's nothing inside.

Also, on one system that this was happening I tried to run 'msinfo32' and
nothing will happen there either. I noticed in the processes that it would
appear and then quickly disappear as if something was killing it before it
could fully load.

*scratches head*

Byte

Start Menu/Help and Support doesn't work: Go to Start/Run and
type in: helpctr -regserver

To reinstall Help and Support: Go to C:\Windows\inf\pchealth.inf. Right
click and choose install. Have your CD handy.

Note: The folder is hidden by default. Go to Start/Run and type in: control
folders. View: Show hidden files and folders and uncheck Hide extensions for
known file types.

"BreadSlicer" wrote:

> This one has got me stumped and I would appreciate any advice I can get. Here
> goes:
>
> I'm IT support for my company and I'm starting to see a growing number of
> systems that exhibit similar problems in that the user accesses the 'Help and
> Support' and either nothing will happen or sometimes the windows frame will
> appear but there's nothing inside.
>
> Also, on one system that this was happening I tried to run 'msinfo32' and
> nothing will happen there either. I noticed in the processes that it would
> appear and then quickly disappear as if something was killing it before it
> could fully load.
>
> *scratches head*

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Wow I was having the same problem and now it works, thanks a bunch. Could
you tell me how to get my system information to work now? I already tried
the reg file on Kelly's Korner so that didn't work. Thanks

JOHN

"Byte" wrote:

> Start Menu/Help and Support doesn't work: Go to Start/Run and
> type in: helpctr -regserver
>
> To reinstall Help and Support: Go to C:\Windows\inf\pchealth.inf. Right
> click and choose install. Have your CD handy.
>
> Note: The folder is hidden by default. Go to Start/Run and type in: control
> folders. View: Show hidden files and folders and uncheck Hide extensions for
> known file types.
>

> "BreadSlicer" wrote:
>
> > This one has got me stumped and I would appreciate any advice I can get. Here
> > goes:
> >
> > I'm IT support for my company and I'm starting to see a growing number of
> > systems that exhibit similar problems in that the user accesses the 'Help and
> > Support' and either nothing will happen or sometimes the windows frame will
> > appear but there's nothing inside.
> >
> > Also, on one system that this was happening I tried to run 'msinfo32' and
> > nothing will happen there either. I noticed in the processes that it would
> > appear and then quickly disappear as if something was killing it before it
> > could fully load.
> >
> > *scratches head*

Tried both suggestions but they didn't work. :(

Thanks anyway.

"Byte" wrote:

> Start Menu/Help and Support doesn't work: Go to Start/Run and
> type in: helpctr -regserver
>
> To reinstall Help and Support: Go to C:\Windows\inf\pchealth.inf. Right
> click and choose install. Have your CD handy.
>
> Note: The folder is hidden by default. Go to Start/Run and type in: control
> folders. View: Show hidden files and folders and uncheck Hide extensions for
> known file types.
>

> "BreadSlicer" wrote:
>
> > This one has got me stumped and I would appreciate any advice I can get. Here
> > goes:
> >
> > I'm IT support for my company and I'm starting to see a growing number of
> > systems that exhibit similar problems in that the user accesses the 'Help and
> > Support' and either nothing will happen or sometimes the windows frame will
> > appear but there's nothing inside.
> >
> > Also, on one system that this was happening I tried to run 'msinfo32' and
> > nothing will happen there either. I noticed in the processes that it would
> > appear and then quickly disappear as if something was killing it before it
> > could fully load.
> >
> > *scratches head*

Try "http://www.kelly-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm" and look for the third
item down. Follow these instructions EXACTLY AS WRITTEN. This restored my
system Help and Support, and I had the same symptoms you have reported.