• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Windows home server vs freenas

nman729

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
alright, well here is my situation, i want to make some kind of storage server that can stream movies to my htpc(win 7) and that can be accessed as a storage server by all my families computers. it will be on 24/7.

i already have these leftover parts-
Pentium D @ 2.66 ghz
2x 512 ddr2 667
4x 500gb wd re2 drives.

also, i would like this to be a small setup, with the smallest case that 4 hard drives will fit in. what are the advantages of home server vs freenas?

Can't answer about freenas. I would use Ubunto 9.1, a free download, or you can order a free cd from their website. It includes lots of device drivers. It found all of mine. It doesn't work with windows programs, but will locate a non windows driver if possible for your board. For a cost effective solution, first check your local craigslist for used htpc cases. I found mine for $30. It's full sized; works with micro atx or atx boards and is a beautiful shiny black finish. Itx setups are cute, but not that cheap. And micro atx htpc cases with a micro atx board may be small enough for your cabinet, and give you the selection of boards and cpus that itx won't.