[SOLVED] Windows Image Backup wiped Linux, twice ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firewall.exe

BANNED
Oct 22, 2021
Alright so how damn pathethic is this?
I installed windows 10 on one disk and on the other one i installed kali linux, then i loaded an imagebackup from windows 10, during the loading process i selected to format my drives but not those where i had the checkmark to not format them. So i set the checkmark for all my drives expect the one where windows 10 was installed.
After the imagebackup was completed i noticed that my kali linux drive was not available as a boot option anymore whithin the bios.

Now i reinstalled kali linux, then i did the same thing as before, load the windows 10 image backup, but before i did that I UNPLUGED the kali linux drive from the pc to avoid it being rendered uselss once again, then the imagebackup loading process was completed again, i pluged in the kali linux drive, rebooted the pc and again, AGAIN in the bios no boot option for kali linux even though I had uplugged the drive to avoid this exact problem !
wtf?

Sometimes i really must ask how bad windows 10 is.

I even pluged the kali linux drive into my other pc and even there, it was not bootable anymore, ???

Last edited:

Firewall.exe

BANNED
Oct 22, 2021
I dont think this is normal at all.
At the time when i created the image backup, windows did already know about that kali linux OS existing on another drive, so even when i install the image it should have been aware of that OS already.

I absolutly dont understand why kali linux is not showing as a boot option anymore just because loading an windows image backup.
I honestly beleve windows does this on purpose as some sort of self protection security measure.

This doesnt make any sense.
When i did the exact same thing a year ago with 2 windows drives, loading an image on one of them, the other one was still recognized as a boot drive, but now with linux doesnt work.

And the boot block youre speaking about only concerns the windows drive not the bios or anything, so why is linux not a boot option anymore in the bios? it even still has the same name, kali linux disctro. Linux drive hasnt been changed in any way only windows did, but like i said at the time of creating the image, windows was already aware of the other OS so why block it now?

No, i dont get it.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
No, i dont get it.

Yes, you don't get it. The thing you don't get is that the fundamental problem is that you're butchering an operating system with no fundamental understanding of the operating system's inner workings or the knowledge background to do any such tinkering.

Here are your basic three options:

• Stop the OS mauling and the black helicopter stuff and get a better Windows experience.
  • Stop using Windows and live in the fiction that your data isn't out there everywhere regardless of whether you use Windows or not.
  • Stop using a computer, the internet, get a cabin in the woods, and live on a cash-only basis. This is literally the only way to protect your privacy in a modern society.

USAFRet

Titan
It makes perfect sense.
It is doing exactly what you told it to do.

Including building a pristine Windows boot partition, devoid of faults and changes.

When you installed the Kali, it overwrote the original Windows boot partition with a GRUB partition.
That is what gave you the choice of which to boot into, Windows or Kali.

Your Windows tool sees this as damage, and fixes it.

There are a couple of methods to not have this happen:

A. Install your OS's differently.
Install Windows, with ONLY one drive connected.
Disconnect that, connect the other drive, and install the other OS, with ONLY that drive connected.
To use one or the other, you interrupt the boot process to choose which drive to boot from.

And/Or....

B. Use a different Imaging tool.
Macrium Reflect, for instance, will do a full drive Image of the Windows drive, including whatever mods you and Linux have made to the boot partition.

We'll not get into the whole thing about why the Kali in a dualboot situation.

Firewall.exe

BANNED
Oct 22, 2021
It makes perfect sense.
It is doing exactly what you told it to do.

Including building a pristine Windows boot partition, devoid of faults and changes.

When you installed the Kali, it overwrote the original Windows boot partition with a GRUB partition.
That is what gave you the choice of which to boot into, Windows or Kali.

Your Windows tool sees this as damage, and fixes it.

There are a couple of methods to not have this happen:

A. Install your OS's differently.
Install Windows, with ONLY one drive connected.
Disconnect that, connect the other drive, and install the other OS, with ONLY that drive connected.
To use one or the other, you interrupt the boot process to choose which drive to boot from.

And/Or....

B. Use a different Imaging tool.
Macrium Reflect, for instance, will do a full drive Image of the Windows drive, including whatever mods you and Linux have made to the boot partition.

We'll not get into the whole thing about why the Kali in a dualboot situation.

I have windows installed on an m.2 drive.
Kali Linux on a SSD.

So when i dont want this to happen again i have to really open the pc case, remove the m.2 drive then install kali on the ssd and only afterwards put the m.2 back in and will be abole to load image backup without this bs happening again?..

USAFRet

Titan
I have windows installed on an m.2 drive.
Kali Linux on a SSD.

So when i dont want this to happen again i have to really open the pc case, remove the m.2 drive then install kali on the ssd and only afterwards put the m.2 back in and will be abole to load image backup without this bs happening again?..
Or use a better tool for this imaging thing.

Question - Why Kali Linux? What are you using it for?

Status
Not open for further replies.